Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
you should checkout the flyfishing section ive seen quite a few links to flytying resources

·
Registered
344 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I left a pretty good bunny fly pattern somewhere, but if you can't find it let me know. They are pretty dang easy to tie, and you can have a hole trips worth in an hour.

G

·
0 Posts
TS4 posted this for the bunny for me --

1. Wrap thread back to bend and tie on a 4-6 inch magnum rabbit strip. (I typically use hooks from 1/0-4/0)
2. This is optional, but I like to top the rabit strip with either silver or rainbow colored tinsil...sometime red deepending on water clarity.
3. Wrap the entire hook length with lead wire (the bunny fly is highly bouyant and when stripped fast barely gets under the water's film)
4. Then I tie on another rabbit strip and palmer it forward to the hook eye (some people use cross cut rab/strips but I prefer the bushier mag cuts)
5. Once you have the palmered strip secured at the base of the hook eye, there are several options for a head. Some use dumbell eyes, some use bead chain, some build a head with thread and then epoxy coat it with prismatic eyes and some dont even bother with a head and just whip finish them. I really like the bead-chaine eyes...but its all personal preferance.

Note: use 3/0 heavy thread. Aslo, my lakers were cought on decievers..but I would speculate a bunny fly would be just as succesful. I prefer casting a lighter deciever as opposed to a 5 ounce bunny fly when wet!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts