Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am headed down to the gulf in about a week, and have not flown with gear before. I was wondering if anyone has flown recently and can tell me what to expect. What can I carry on? Rods, Reels, Flies, Leaders, Tools? Do I have to check some of it in baggage? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
715 Posts
You will have no problem with rod, reels, flies and leaders on a carry on but I would put nippers scissor/forceps on a check bag.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I carried on everything over christmas. No issues. They were also 4 piece rods. You may have to check 2 pieces. Something like scissors, yes, would need to be checked.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I flew international a few years ago and at the last leg in LAX the dude took my fly rod tube. Said it could be used as a weapon. I damn near hit him across the head with it since I went from colorado to new zealand and back without a issue.

·
Registered
733 Posts
bassmaster said:
I just came back from a trip to New Orleans and I carried on my rod and reel but I shipped everythig else to my brothers house in advance of my trip.
That's a great idea Rick...you all have UPS coming everyday as it is...less brain damage in the long run.

·
The Mayor
2,101 Posts
Wahoo said:
bassmaster said:
I just came back from a trip to New Orleans and I carried on my rod and reel but I shipped everythig else to my brothers house in advance of my trip.
That's a great idea Rick...you all have UPS coming everyday as it is...less brain damage in the long run.
X2 If you have a place you can send your stuff in advance, it is the only way to go....

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
When flying with gear, the safest place to keep it is behind the scrotum, or better yet fly with a female companion who is willing to stash your gear. Whatever you do, don't wrap up your gear in tinfoil, just ask Damon Stoudamire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts