Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was fishing an undisclosed location and saw trout with a white fuzz on its face and have no idea what it was. The fish was hanging out in very shallow water and didnt move when I walked toward it. I tried to catch him but he then swam off. This fuzz stuff was covering his face. My buddies reported seeing the same thing in different parts of the river over a couple of days time. I thought it was a big piece of cotton he swam into but I saw no cotton in this particular place. Any ideas what this is?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
It's a fish fungus. The spores live in most of the lakes and streams in Colorado. You'll see it most often in the fall on spawning Brown trout. Low water levels, warm water, stress and poor fish handling all contribute to the condition. The protective slime is removed and the fish are susceptible. It's fatal to fish..won't hurt humans.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
The protective slime is removed and the fish are susceptible. It's fatal to fish..won't hurt humans.
Handling with dry hands and removing their protective slime caused this in all likely hood would be my guess.

Tout aren't the delicate flowers some would like to believe, but poor handling with dry hands can really mess them up, especially in hot weather on front range creeks, they are allready a bit stressed.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Herpes.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Handling with dry hands and removing their protective slime caused this in all likely hood would be my guess.

Tout aren't the delicate flowers some would like to believe, but poor handling with dry hands can really mess them up, especially in hot weather on front range creeks, they are allready a bit stressed.
This was hot weather but western slopeish... white river. Also these fish get zero pressure. Strange.

·
Registered
883 Posts

This! If you take the slime coat off of a slimmer it makes them susceptible to all kinds of stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts