Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Article I, Section 2 of the Constitution dictates the number of members that make up the US House of Representatives. In 2010, a law suit was filed in Mississippi, Clemons v Department of Commerce, seeking a greater number of members.

I purpose we need to do the exact opposite. Wikipedia states the average salary for a Representative is $174,000 a year. If we reduce the number of members from 435 (why do we need that many anyway?) to 300 we would save $23,490,000 a year. Reducing it to 235 would save $34,800,000 a year. Keep in mind these figures are for the members themselves and do not include the salaries of their staff members or the cost of operating their offices. Doing this would not affect any programs or services and would certainly reduce the number of earmarks and pork barrel projects.

With the advances in communications and the increased density of our population a Representative should be able to represent more people. Let’s face it, they don’t actually do that anyway. They represent their respective parties. And if you are like me, the only time you see them interacting with their constituents is when they are trying to get elected or re-elected.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Also take away there golden parachute when they leave. Would save us billions of dollars a year and put them on there Health plan they passed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts