Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Just between these two, who was the better wide receiver in his prime?

• Randy Moss

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrell Owens

• Equal

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colorado anglers, a lot of you are not only good fishermen, but savvy football fans. I thought it would be fun to log your response to this football question ...

Randy Moss and Terrell Owens have a number of things in common, both positive and negative. Surely they must be considered two of the greatest wide receivers in recent years (and possibly in the game's history). IMHO they are both locks for the Hall of Fame (and should be). But ...

Straight up: Each in their prime, who was the better wide receiver in your opinion?

(For the sake of this question I am not bringing in other wideouts, but focusing only on these two.)

Thanks for weighing in!

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I haven't compared their stats, but the fact that Randy Moss so often and so obviously "took plays off" relegates him to number 2 IMHO. He's still doing it.

TO may have been a bigger problem in the locker room, but his desire was never in question, again, in my opinion.

So, as a football player, TO has to get the nod.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I don't often agree with gfys, but I do in this case. Couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally I think it makes for an excellent sports debate, and IMO they are extremely close (hence my asking the question). Since I posed the issue, I think I should also contribute, so ...

With due respect to Professor Plum and Mr. Green above, I'm going to go the other way by the narrowest of margins and cast my vote for Randall Moss.

I think both were something else on the field, with a rarely seen physical attributes/skill set combination that spelled N-I-G-H-T-M-A-R-E for any defense (or defensive coordinator!). Here's how I break it down:

Owens

- better 'possession receiver' than Moss (though it's almost an insult to call him that b/c he also had so much more to offer)
- harder worker than Moss (they both started with tremendous natural ability, but TO maximized his more)
- better blocker than Moss (in fact, does Randy block?)

Moss

- the overused description "freak of nature" was made for Randy Moss (uncontainable lightning on the field; like a gazelle among goats)
- Can you say "game changer"? (even more so than TO; more big plays in him, no matter how many guys you put on him -- doesn't seem to matter)
- taller and more lithe (how's that for a word?!) than Owens (how many times have we seen Moss 'go up' and get it, like a basketball player?)

In terms of the 'distraction factor', again, a lot in common and often their own worst enemy. But if I had to pick, I honestly think that overall TO was a little worse, and could not stop demanding that the spotlight be on him.

So I guess for me, both will get you a ton of catches, both will give you headaches. But more of Randy Moss' catches will be killers that drive the stake through the opposition. Also, I do think Terrell Owens drops more passes than does Moss.

I really hope others will sound off and not just let this discussion immediately sink into obscurity.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Moss.

TO was awesome, especially yards after the catch and after contact, but Moss made the defense adjust more than any other WR, including Jerry Rice.

Also Moss has compiled better numbers over fewer seasons.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Moss or TO, frankly I would have to say neither. I believe that Moss has the more natural talent and has the best tools to play the game but frequently takes plays and games off. The same goes with TO and even though TO is having a nice season both are still well below their potential.

For me it isn't what a reciever does once the ball is thrown to him that makes him great its what he does when the ball isn't being thrown to him that makes a great receiver. Look at great receivers through out time and watch how they can effect their own game when away from the ball. Hines Ward has made a career out of it. Blocking WR's make their own luck. You would think more WR's would enjoy blocking as it gives them a shot to dish back it back out to those DB's taking shots at them. Its being a complete football player. I don't think I have ever seen TO be a complete player, however for a couple years I did see Moss make attempts with the Pats. Ok so I will go with Moss then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts