Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Just the fact that they went back and got a Wildlife Officer to access the scene tells me they were in the right. They could of just left the body in the woods?

If it was me the first shot would of been to frighten them off. Anything is fair game after that!!!!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Bears, Cougars, Wild Dogs, Wolves, Coyotes, Humans.. Whatever the case, they would have faced the same fate. This is not a matter of wolves(As long as the 2 are telling a true story) it is a matter of self defense.

If the story is true it isn't any diff. than another animal or human attack for that matter. A man has got to protect himself!!

Story isn't very hard to believe either... Obviously the smell of the dead elk brought them to the area... Easy food.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
RVinson said:
Bears, Cougars, Wild Dogs, Wolves, Coyotes, Humans.. Whatever the case, they would have faced the same fate. This is not a matter of wolves(As long as the 2 are telling a true story) it is a matter of self defense.

If the story is true it isn't any diff. than another animal or human attack for that matter. A man has got to protect himself!!

Story isn't very hard to believe either... Obviously the smell of the dead elk brought them to the area... Easy food.
x2

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought it was interesting, but it's hard to know whether it's all true.

If it's true, then it reinforces the notion that they need to be actively managed, they can't be protected to the extent that they have no fear of humans, and they're not appropriate for every 100 acre stand of trees in the state.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
I thought it was interesting, but it's hard to know whether it's all true.

If it's true, then it reinforces the notion that they need to be actively managed, they can't be protected to the extent that they have no fear of humans, and they're not appropriate for every 100 acre stand of trees in the state.
I don't know how many wolves are up there... But that smell could have attracted a wolf from a couple miles away. They may need to be managed... but they also may not.

That may have been the only pack of wolves for a LONG LONG way(Also could have been 1 of many in that area)

The wolves weren't attracted to the area because they wanted to kill humans.. they were attracted to the area because of the dead elk!!

"The sense of smell in the wolf is highly developed, as would be expected in an animal possessing numerous scent glands. The distance at which any scent can be detected is governed by atmospheric conditions but, even under the most favorable conditions , 1.75 miles denotes a particularly keen sense of smell. "

In area's where wolves still roam freely in packs.. Is there even a fear of humans? Safety in numbers right?

·
Registered
844 Posts
The truth is as top tier predators are increased so will the threat to humans, the other problem is the population density including recreational/temporary habitation that was not common when these animals last inhabited the country side in large numbers.
Bears, wolves, cats, and coyote encounters that end in contact have been increasing in recent years and human deaths have been documented. I'm no expert either but I bet the number of violent encounters are higher now than 50 yrs ago.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The habitat is far too altered for normal wolf interactions with the rest of the ecosystem, as well as humanity. Seeing what wolves have done to big game hunting and live stock in Montana and Idaho, I will never support wolves coming back. I'm sick and tired of all these eco - purists who want everything the way it was hundreds of years ago. I guess that means they want to get on the ship back to Europe and go burn witches too.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
RVinson said:
In area's where wolves still roam freely in packs.. Is there even a fear of humans? Safety in numbers right?
According to guys that I know who have encountered wolves in the very far north(canada/alaska), they are extrememly skittish when they suspect human presence or encounter humans. I would definitely be nervous if any other predator I encounter isn't more scared of me than I am of him/her........means they didn't get the memo.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
reminds me of the time I was coming off the ice at Jackson res. Wyoming 1979, at dusk and 5 coyotes were on the ice where I had cleaned some fish earlier between me and my truck, they weren't scared at all and I got within 50' before they slowly wandered off made me a little bit nervous.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
solesearcher34 said:
RVinson said:
According to guys that I know who have encountered wolves in the very far north(canada/alaska), they are extrememly skittish when they suspect human presence or encounter humans. I would definitely be nervous if any other predator I encounter isn't more scared of me than I am of him/her........means they didn't get the memo.
those wolves are normal examples and the few times in there life they see a human they are either getting shot at or chased by aircraft, the problems come from all the close proximity to people and getting used to seeing people and not getting shot at (no hunting allowed). How would the folks in Evergreen like it if it was a pack of wolves surrounding there pets or children along with the problems right now with lions and coyotes among mtn. developments.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I would suspect it is only a matter of time before they make it to Northern CO. and the west slope.

I would imagine a large pack of wolve's would be alot more aggressive than a single wolf. It would probaly be a good idea for people to fire a few shots at wolve's they see to make them more afraid of humans.

I just read recently about a young women who was killed in Alaska by a pack of wolve's. Not saying it isn't extremely rare!!! But still scary!

·
P I K E
10,084 Posts
IceInTheVeins. said:
The habitat is far too altered for normal wolf interactions with the rest of the ecosystem, as well as humanity. Seeing what wolves have done to big game hunting and live stock in Montana and Idaho, I will never support wolves coming back. I'm sick and tired of all these eco - purists who want everything the way it was hundreds of years ago. I guess that means they want to get on the ship back to Europe and go burn witches too.
Not true at all, actually the ecosystem has faultered without the wolf. Like them or not they are needed to balance nature and unfortunately human inhabitants have gotten in their way. Here is a study going on at this time for reintroduction back into Colorado on a small scale.
http://www.wildearthguardians.org/Portals/0/downloads/download_wolf-vision_low.pdf

Neal, also here is an article where DOW has been investigating reports of a pack of wolves on the western slope. I have heard of these packs living over there and up in northern Colorado.
http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/article_6fcf6636-1506-11df-a873-001cc4c002e0.html

There is also a story about the problems a Wyo. rancher is having with them, so their DOW gave the ranchers rubber bullets to use on them...good idea!!! The wolf that was found dead on I-70 a few years ago was 1st spotted and reported by my son in law who at the time was a deputy with Clear Creek Cty. When he 1st called it in they all told him he was full of chit, they found out different!!! :eek:

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
TthePikester said:
IceInTheVeins. said:
Not true at all, actually the ecosystem has faultered without the wolf. Like them or not they are needed to balance nature and unfortunately human inhabitants have gotten in their way. Here is a study going on at this time for reintroduction back into Colorado on a small scale.
http://www.wildearthguardians.org/Portals/0/downloads/download_wolf-vision_low.pdf

Neal, also here is an article where DOW has been investigating reports of a pack of wolves on the western slope. I have heard of these packs living over there and up in northern Colorado.
http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/article_6fcf6636-1506-11df-a873-001cc4c002e0.html

There is also a story about the problems a Wyo. rancher is having with them, so their DOW gave the ranchers rubber bullets to use on them...good idea!!! The wolf that was found dead on I-70 a few years ago was 1st spotted and reported by my son in law who at the time was a deputy with Clear Creek Cty. When he 1st called it in they all told him he was full of chit, they found out different!!! :eek:
Thanks!! Very interesting reading!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
TthePikester said:
IceInTheVeins. said:

My main issue with wolf reintroduction and the groups that push for it is their often "not so hidden" agenda.....and that is basically to go through the backdoor to eliminate sport hunting entirely. Sportsmen and women have spent alot of time, money & effort to build and manage the big game herds in the west since they were basically destroyed by market hunting. Many of us just aren't willing to sit idly by and watch our big game get decimated by uncontrolled wolf populations. I don't have a problem with the presence of wolves.......I have a problem with uncontrolled expansion of wolf populations reducing the big game hunting opportunities for myself and future generations. Pretty much as simple as that.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Before you take the word of wildearth guardians I suggest hearing the other side of the story http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=3243 Don't expect to read comments on such a volatile subject without there being bias either way.
This ESA business will never be agreed upon since there is little common ground once it gets broken down to the basics. I view it much like the political world in which the ESA is truly a part. My world as I like and envision it will be destroyed or greatly altered if they are successful so there is absolutely no reason to agree or go along with anything.

·
P I K E
10,084 Posts
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
Before you take the word of wildearth guardians I suggest hearing the other side of the story http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=3243 Don't expect to read comments on such a volatile subject without there being bias either way.
This ESA business will never be agreed upon since there is little common ground once it gets broken down to the basics. I view it much like the political world in which the ESA is truly a part. My world as I like and envision it will be destroyed or greatly altered if they are successful so there is absolutely no reason to agree or go along with anything.
Trust me I have read both sides, lived both sides but sounds to me your world as you state, in my opinion is what is wrong with this stated volatile subject as a whole!!! Kill them all, put them in a zoo, pave paradise-put up a parking lot...that sux!!! Colorado has the largest population of elk in the nation...why? When was the last time you were in Estes, or 285-24 down in South Park? Elk everywhere...why? The town I grew up in, Helena Mt. has a terrible problem with urban deer...right in town, hundreds of them...why? Because we, humans, have about killed off all the predation factor!!!
http://helenair.com/news/local/article_3f7202e4-1de8-5cb0-843c-10fad5662048.html
J., I understand where you're coming from, but managed in the proper way it can work for all involved but that's the biggest problem. What is the proper way of management? You manage one way and someone biotches, manage it another way an unrepentant sinner biotches...who do you please? You cut out the natural predation and it ends up like a once great fishing lake like Crawford...lets kill all the pike and let the fricken perch take over and stunt the rest of the population. Guess you could always take your grandkids to the zoo, "yep kids thats a Lynx, thats a wolf, thats a mtn. lion...they all use to be here in Colorado but we killed them all so we could live here in natural peace!!!" >:D ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts