Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this is proper etiquette or not. But, I'm sure someone will let me know.

I asked a while back if anyone knew a local custom lure company and couldn't seem to find anyone here. As a lure "junky" I tend to like to use things and colors that fish don't see often on pressured waters.

So, after searching and asking and searching some more; I found a custom lure company that produces beautiful work at a fair price (I think anyway). Here's a few square bills they did up for me and a link to there site for those who are interested. Pics don't do them justice- I suck at photography. But the link has great photos and the lures look even better than those in person.

kirbycreekcustoms.com

If you look a little further at their site there are a few other custom lure guys they recommend as well.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Went to their site and the paint jobs/color schemes are very impressive!!!

Have you fished their lures enough to know if the paint job/color holds up to some abuse?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. Better than many of the store bought ones IMO.

You can contact the owner directly and he can go into more details about his painting process.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Nice paint jobs for sure! Not sure it's worth the premium though.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
VERY nice.. love a couple of those... I need a custom color for sure in that exact lure. I'll talk to you about it.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I like the looks of the slimer colored one.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I would be concerned about 1 thing with these baits, as I had a friend purchase a bunch of blank baits that he hand painted a few years back. Out of 25 of the vision 110 knockoffs 3 suspended, some sunk so fast it was like they had a leak, others floated so hard that even a 2x strong hook wouldnt make em act rite.

The cranks should not be that big of a deal but I wont be the first guy here buying a $22 jerkbait not knowing if it suspends, floats or sinks.

Stellar paintjobs though.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I was thinking about buying one after looking but the whole "tackle raffle" thing kinda sucks instead of just listing on their site what is ready for immediate purchase. Also, the descriptions on some of the jerks I looked are are somewhat vague as for example the 110 says 3' deeper than the 100 or whatever and you look at the 100 and there is not a depth listed for it. I will check back maybe (though they are pricey I would like to try an extreme rainbow jerk from them)

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I would be concerned about 1 thing with these baits, as I had a friend purchase a bunch of blank baits that he hand painted a few years back. Out of 25 of the vision 110 knockoffs 3 suspended, some sunk so fast it was like they had a leak, others floated so hard that even a 2x strong hook wouldnt make em act rite.

The cranks should not be that big of a deal but I wont be the first guy here buying a $22 jerkbait not knowing if it suspends, floats or sinks.

Stellar paintjobs though.
That is easily overcome, and it's nice to have a variety of sink/float rates on those jerks.. I know consistency is nice, but as long as you mark them, I think that is an issue I could live with....especially considering the price.

I dig the square bills and they are all floaters I believe. I want a crappie color square bill badly...like the top left one with some vertical striping.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Save yer money for more fuel to be at the right place right time right presentation. Special color paint job is worth maybe .05% of the hookup-

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Biggie,

Those aren't any cheaper for the 100 series jerkbaits and only a couple dollars cheaper for the crankbaits. Their custom painting is cheaper though if you supply the lure. Biggest drawback to them is 16 wks turn around time and no credit card payments. I waited six weeks for those to get to me only because he had a Christmas rush.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on custom creek. I have no preference in companies. I would have preferred someone local. But, couldn't find one and went through a couple different companies until I found someone whose lures aren't junk, hooks aren't cheap and paint jobs that will hold up at least as long as the ones you buy. Found two places so far and one lure hasn't been "tested" yet so I didn't show them.

I have quite a few custom lures and have noticed sink rates and suspendability vary from brand to brand (custom painted or not). Like Oyey stated early; that is easily rectified by marking them someway or separating them in different boxes.

As for whether or not they catch more fish.... I wouldn't spend the kind of money I have on expensive baits if they didn't catch fish. But, I can't prove that if I had a different lure on at the time the same fish wouldn't have hit it.

Interesting excerpt from an article I read on colors of lures. "Most fish, except for some of those in the deepest of darkest of oceans, where there is no light at all, can see colors, some even have four to five different cones making their ability to see color even greater than our own. While there is some, but not much, evidence that fish have a particular tendency towards red, there is more to selecting the right color of lure than just picking the one with the palette you like best."

So, while Slayer's point has some validity and he definitely catches more than his share of big fish; color can have a factor as well. Especially those that mimic what the fish are feeding on. Tons of other factors go into why a fish hits your lure at a certain time on a certain body of water during a certain season.

Kinda like debating religion and politics-LMFAO

For me I like having options and not throwing the same damn thing that everyone else does. That's why I don't buy all of my gear from the big box stores and shop overseas or at custom shops from time to time: OPTIONS

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want a crappie color square bill badly...like the top left one with some vertical striping.
One of them is in fact a crappie color Jason. I also have a few other crappie patterns I can show you when you have time.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Is the action on these knock offs as good as the real thing? If I had to choose action vs colors, I'd go with the action.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Their 110's are very similar to the Megabass AO. I can't tell a huge difference. But, maybe a walleye pro like yourself can.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As for the square bills.... Every brand square bill has a little different wiggle which I prefer at times. I don't think there are too many brand square bills I wouldn't use except for those with cheap bills.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Their 110's are very similar to the Megabass AO. I can't tell a huge difference. But, maybe a walleye pro like yourself can.
What I was alluding to was: if I want a knock off, I'm thinking discount, not premium for a fancy paint job, which is less important than action to begin with. The Lucky Strikes are cheap knock offs of the mega bass. I don't know how their action compare to the real Mega Bass (don't own any) or these knock offs, but they are a lot cheaper. I don't see myself paying more for what I essentially see as less. Different strokes...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gotcha. I have stuck to Lucky Craft and Smithwicks for jerkbaits and have caught quite a few nice fish on them. I have a few megabass. But, haven't learned the trick to working them yet. Price wise the Lucky Craft aren't cheap either. But, I find deals on them all the time on Ebay.

Custom wise I have quite a few of the Berkley Flicker Shad and Flicker Minnows that another company paints for me because I like the action of that lure and wanted more color options. Squarebill crankbaits to me all have a little different wobble which is good. So, I bought a few custom color ones to try out. The Kirby Creek models work well for what I am using them for.

I guess I could've titled this thread a little differently.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Squarebill crankbaits to me all have a little different wobble which is good. So, I bought a few custom color ones to try out. The Kirby Creek models work well for what I am using them for.

I guess I could've titled this thread a little differently.
It's your thread and it's perfectly fine as it is. I have been thinking about shallow diving cranks for wipers. Might get some this year to try them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts