Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Those things are not illegal. What if you owned one of these lakes or rivers? Would you think its OK for John Q Public to stomp all over your land? I bet not. Do you think property rights are a joke?

·
Registered
179 Posts
In the early 70's i was working on a crew remodelling a large house on the North Fork of the South Platte. they had about a mile of water. it had formerly been owned by Pete Smythe and they ran a fishing club there at one time. Well, anyway, my boss was still going to CU and he left every Monday at noon to go to class. I would take my lunch hour and hike up stream and every monday night i would bring home a few broen trout in the 2-5 lb range. All on salmon eggs drifted on the bottem. took 20-30 minutes to get 3-5 fish.No one ever knew. After the job was over i would sneak in there every now and then but that was when i couyld hoof over and through the woods and crash down the mountainside on my ass (it was real steep from the "wrong"way) and survive to fish and get back out.It was a hoot though.

·
Banned
487 Posts
McFish said:
You should never trespass on private property!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Water supply reservoirs ARE NOT private property, whether access is allowed or not. Any property owned by the city, country, state, or federal government is PUBLIC PROPERTY with the exception of military bases. No exceptions. There should not be a such thing as trespass on public property. Only under communism or other forms of dictatorship does the government own land and not the people.
Now I would not go onto some guy's land that he owned without permission. However I do not support landowners owning land below the high water mark of a navigable waterway, and would be willing to pay the fine if caught. Besides, like I am going to stay there while he calls the police. Fat flippin' chance.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Marston, McCoughlin, Cooley Gravel pits, Wigwam after midnight. Haven't been to any of these for a long time, but McCouglhin was the best walleye lake in the state, imagine it still is. April and May two guys could catch 30 fish apiece in 2-3 hours, all betwween 18" and 24 ".Monster large mouth and crappie too.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Parker Tom said:
Marston, McCoughlin, Cooley Gravel pits, Wigwam after midnight. Haven't been to any of these for a long time, but McCouglhin was the best walleye lake in the state, imagine it still is. April and May two guys could catch 30 fish apiece in 2-3 hours, all betwween 18" and 24 ".Monster large mouth and crappie too.

Mcoughlin? Where is that and who "owns" it? Water supply lake?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Pathetic reasoning. There is plenty of water to fish. If you feel that you need some PUBLIC lake open to fish than use proper the format to change that policy. Same goes for any law. What a bunch of losers.

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
Sit on it and rotate mcfish! People always covet that which they cannot have-or something like that!When I was younger,it was just plain fun to sneak in to fish.Go live in your rigid,lawful world while we play.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have to respect private land that is deeply cared for by the landowner. Fishing club property like RMAC gets the same respect in my book. There are legal ways to fish here and that is the only road that should be taken.

But what about waters paid for by John Q Public's tax dollars? What about water that is managed as "irrigation only"?

The Robin Hood in me wonders if the fish gods will frown on an angler who slips in under moonlight and lips a few fish. I debate this in my mind as I measure the consequences staring through the barbed wire fence of Denver Water Board and ditch company properties.

That doesn't make it right...just less evil. It's my opinion that not meticulously managing all Colorado waters as prime fisheries is far worse.

·
Banned
487 Posts
McFish said:
Pathetic reasoning.  There is plenty of water to fish.  If you feel that you need some PUBLIC lake open to fish than use proper the format to change that policy.  Same goes for any law.  What a bunch of losers.
Hey that's what I do mcfish. I am petitioning to get measures on the ballot so a referrendum can be passed to open the lakes. Why such the hateful attitude?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Not hateful to people who use the proper methods to change the law. I do not think trespassing is right no matter what the reason. I grew up in Nebraska and asked permission to hunt and fish private land and water. Many times the land owner would allow me to use there property. Most would comment how nice it was for someone to ask instead of trespassing.

·
Registered
472 Posts
A lot of folks may not know that Quincy was once closed and not available for fishing. The water quality was poor and used mainly as a watershed.

It took a bit of convincing and a lot of management but it was transformed into the fantastic fishery that it is today. The water quality was greatly improved by providing a more balanced ecosystem and is now a revenue generator as well.

If anyone is gathering petitions or could use another signature from a registered voter, let me know. Opening up these irrigation/watersheds is a win-win for a lot of reasons.

·
Banned
487 Posts
McFish said:
Not hateful to people who use the proper methods to change the law.  I do not think trespassing is right no matter what the reason.  I grew up in Nebraska and asked permission to hunt and fish private land and water.  Many times the land owner would allow me to use there property.  Most would comment how nice it was for someone to ask instead of trespassing.
I agree with you for private property. However these water supply lakes ARE NOT PRIVATE PROPERTY, and there is really no such thing as trespass on them even though you can be cited for that.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Can the DOW revoke a fishing license if an angler is caught tresspassing on an irrigation company owned watershed?

I'll take the fine...heck I would pay it upfront if they would just let me fish. But with my luck the first time I did it, I would be caught and they would throw the book at me just to make an example.

I know its not the most ethical choice but someone has to educate those fish! ;D

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Matt --- I highly doubt it. I think only the DOW can take your liscence. They have a 20 point system. If you rack up 20 points in 5 years, they can take it. Besides, why would they punish you more than anyone else they caught on the proporty (by taking something away)?
  Come on though, if you're going to do it, be creative. You take a small dog. Wrap it's leash around a bush. Fish w/ an old rod w/ a dirty tip. (Moss covered and all.) Have a buddy as a look-out. Someone approches, you get a warning via walkie-talkie. You start holloring for dog. If busted, you appologize profusley as you get a call on your (turned up all the way) cell. It's a girl frantically asking if you found her dog that needs it's medication ASAP.  8) If he somehow saw you fishing. You found the rod which has obviously been sitting there w/ it's rusted tip in the water for awhile.  ;)
  Just for kicks. You could leave an old tackle box next to it w/ "proporty of 1eyered" written on it.    JK 1eye!

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
now thats a good one
but what if you do all that and get there and
half the guys from this site are already there fishing

·
Registered
472 Posts
Loose dog...never would have dreamed that one. Mossy-gear is good too.

My plan was to camo-up, cross the fence under the cover of darkness. Slam a few good fish and "beat-feet" out of there. Take no fish, leave no trace, save for a few sore lips.

There's only about 50 of these places I would love to "renegade".

Pricing the infra-red goggles now. J/K

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Man, this conversation got ugly. :eek: It would be a good thing if we could gain access to more of "our" water. In Kansas there a two power plant lakes with hot water discharge-one is coal fired and one is a nuclear plant. They are both open to fishermen 365 days a year and have excellent fishing. They have alot of restrictions and areas of the lake that are off limits. If they can do it, why can't we. Wouldn't it be nice if here in CO we had a power plant lake open to the public. You could be fishing topwater for bass in Jan!!! It doesn't get any better than that. Ed

21 - 40 of 43 Posts