Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Twin Lakes has some big macs in it but I havent been down there to fish yet this year... I was there last weekend and there were a couple groups of people out on the lake (in pickups) and a couple sets of permanent shelters. Granby and Grand lake also have good populations but may be hard to keep the 17-20 inchers off the line there.

·
Registered
16,562 Posts
IceholeGypsy said:
Anyone know where I can find large lakers (15 lbs +) w/o having to go to Blue Mesa???  Twin Lakes?  Forebay? 
Your best bet is Twin lakes-The forebay is open water so it's shore fishing.

·
Registered
376 Posts
yes forbay is probably open and presents a great opportunity for some great float tubing. I usually try to go once or twice a winter but have not made it yet this year. March is probably the best time but is not far away. About two Marches ago my brother had a 35+ incher right at his belly boat but could not manage to land it, it ran him back to the bottom and broke him off clear on the other side of the lake. If you dress warm you usually last about two hours your first time out, then about one hour after warm ups. We usually do best right by the dam in about 30-40 feet with tube jigs and sucker meat. By the way the big one still has a 3 inch chartruse tube jig. Man I would like to have that one back

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
IceholeGypsy said:
Anyone know how far one would have to carry a boat to get it on Forebay?
I was up by twinlakes last Saturday there is alot of snow you could just slide it into Forebay, if it wasnt too big.

Here is a pic of Twinlakes on Saturday, sorry I didnt drive up to Forebay:

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
wow twin lakes is pretty! Is anyone getting big macks out of there this year?

·
Registered
297 Posts
TroutFishingBear said:
wow twin lakes is pretty! Is anyone getting big macks out of there this year?
Twin used to be pretty, before they built the power plant and ran all the resorts out, used to be wide sandy beaches and a beautiful piece of water then colo. springs and Aurora stepped in and they took a place that was pretty and just made a place that is pretty #%@&*$ up. I can't hardley stomach going up there anymore, knowing how it used to be, makes me sick.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've pulled several decent macs out of Twin this year, but nothing over 2.5 lbs.  They're pretty long fish, but skinny for the length.  I pulled a 6 lb'er out of Grandby the end of December, but then I got skunked the next week in the same spot.  I haven't been back since the tournament. It usually slows way down, or completely stops after the tourney.  

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
knowing about twin, I figured the lakers would be pretty skinny. It isn't very fertile, is it? When they can get to a big enough length to effectively prey on rainbows I bet they fatten up though. I was just wondering because last year I talked to a guy who caught not one but two fish over 15 pounds out of twin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts