Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of going to somewhere like Mexico or Vegas for Spring Break, me and a few buddies decided to get west of I-70, stay in a 1960's motel and fish our a$$es off for 3 days. In 3 days, we were on the water for a total of 25 hours and floated 17 miles. Not too shabby for March!

We floated the Fork from Carbondale all the way to 2 Rivers Park in Glenwood. As soon as we put in the fishing was absolutely outrageous. Eggs, stones, honestly anything that you had on they would eat. We found some solid whitefish too >:D. After the confluence with the Crystal, the water had a nice tint and the fish were a little harder to come by. Bigger and brighter flies moved a few, but below the airport we railed on some fish on huge heavy streamers. When we pulled out, the temp had dropped from 50 to 22 degrees and it was an absolute whiteout. But hey, still not too shabby.

The next day we jumped to the Pan, drove up the road with 5 inches of snow and had to posthole it to the river. It was worth it. The crowds were light except for the crazies in the toilet bowl. Midges and mysis (as usual) were the name of the game. My buddy is nuts and was hammering them on size 26 midge dries, but I nymphed. I found this bad boy just above the bend hole. Epoxy mysis did the trick on 7x!

On a side note, this fish was spawned out. Definitely had beat himself up pretty good on rocks and you could tell he had been mishandled at some point. IMO, the Pan is not as pristine of a river as people think. Almost every fish I caught had something wrong with it. I landed a 22" female rainbow that literally had half of her face covered in white fungus. Just wish more people would handle them right! Don't get me wrong, the Pan is awesome and I love it, but those fish have seen some beatings.

Nice one for my buddy, 20" on the tape and 12" girth..chunker

Our last day we were kinda in a pickle. Didn't really have the desire to float the fork again, and the Colorado in G-wood canyon had some serious color. On a whim, we decided to try Pumphouse. I thought there was no way that we would move fish, but I was wrong. Big, slow, deep holes and a #6 Pat's Rubberleg was the ticket all the way from Pump to Radium. If you're getting up there, all but one of the boat ramps are ice free and it is definitely floatable. Worth a shot, as the water clarity is typical Colorado River style. I think the best part of this day was the fact that we caught a bunch of healthy rainbows in a stretch that definitely isn't known for rainbows, nice to see that from the C!

Healthy Upper C Rainbow, 1/2 mile from the boat ramp

Alex with a handful of salmo trutta

All in all, a good spring break. If there is one thing I gotta say though, the bar scene in Glenwood blows. We got stared at in every bar we went into and what kind of bar doesn't have specials on a Wednesday???

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Sounds and looks like a good couple of days. You picked a good time of year to get west of the divide. Regarding the Pan: The way that thing gets pounded on a daily basis, I'm surprised there are any big fish alive in there. Flows are low 90% of the year and every big fish in there can be hunted visually. A good run off and flushing flow always does wonders for the fish, so the spring is looking good I hope.

Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
4 Posts
" the bar scene in Glenwood blows. We got stared at in every bar we went into"

Didn't they tell you it was "Gay Ski Week" in Aspen? ;D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts