Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got to Lonetree res. in Loveland today at 6am with high hopes. Late may, good weather, no wind, good water temp and clarity, and leaves are out. But as I should of guessed, fishing was slow. water level was very high. Carp were spawning hard!! fished most of the cuts around the lake with top waters, senkos, yamamotos, shallow divers, swim baits, and soft craws. got one hit in the south cove jigging a senko. trolled with shallow-mid divers, lipless cranks, and shad swimbaits but no bites. overall weeds and temp are rising nicely but not sure where the bass were. the wind picked up around noon so we headed into fort collins to arapahoe bend. water was warm and clear, bass are either mid or post spawn. many schools of 1-2 inch bass were hiding in the shallows, but some bass are still holding to their spawn beds. Caught one 16 inch largemouth.

Sunday I went to dixon res. below horsetooth and had some luck with the largemouth. carp were also spawning hard. six largemouth caught rangin 8-16 inch. all were caught on top water. pumpkin seed were also hitting top water.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Nah... Just love fishing for large panfish. :)

I might get to squeeze one more fishing trip in before moving day... Would be cool to get a big P-Seed for a pic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They were maybe 6x4 inches, but you might find better sizes if you actually fished for them, I was fishing for LM.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Nice report......but I'd say most bass are pre-spawn/spawn in our front range ponds.....especially with recent cold weather. I fished close to Ft Collins Sunday and didn't see any bass on nests through 11:00 a.m. Also....those little bass are not this years fish.......schools of tiny fry will hatch and be guarded by the male. Run spinnerbait through the schools of fry in a couple weeks to trigger the males. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Yea they are definitely not post spawn, i'd say pre still. There were a few bass on their beds today but not too many yet

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for clearing that up. I just assumed the schools were from this spawn because I hadn't seen them the past few times I've been there this spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts