Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stepped up my fly fishing quite a bit in the last year. I am finally catching more fish!
However, I notice that I foul hook more than ever.
I mostly fish with 2 hooks -- nymphing or dry/dropper. I thought maybe I was too quick to set the top hook and would foul hook with the dropper but as it turns out I foul hook from the top hook as much as the bottom.
Anyone have an suggestions? Am I too quick or too late?

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you're foul hooking a dropper off a dry, more than likely you are getting an instinctive rise or false rise on the dry and not an actual "take". The resulting hook set on this reluctant fish is a dropper in the body. If you are foul hooking a nymph rig there are multitudes of reasons. Most common is too much leader for water depth or too much slack in the leader to indicator. The fish may actually be spitting the hook before you ever saw indication of a take, making you late in a hook set resulting in a foul hook. You can also increase the distance between flies on a tandem rig. 16" seems to be a magical number. Foul hooks on nymph rigs is common if fish are stacked up in certain areas like they do in winter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts