Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, kinda!!

The wife has been buggin for me to buy another vex or something.. We ice fish quite a bit and one for the whole family is kinda tough. Long story short, I decided to make an ice unit for my Lowrance HDS7. *I ordered the power cord for $27 and the ice ducer for $78. *I had to get a battery for it, and they had one for $39 but for $56 I could go up to the smallest size deep cycle which the guy said would perform much better and the life would be about 1.5x the $39 one. *He also said it should last 3-5 years if kept charged. *This battery is about 3-4 lbs heavier than the other, but what the hell, it's gotta power a full screen sonar. *

I thought this out for a couple weeks, and decided to use a 3 gallon bucket I had because the size was just right, and it will fit inside a 5 gallon bucket so I can carry both... paired with an ice cady (bucket pocket thing) I figure I am pretty mobile for smaller trips and it's still light enough for the wife to carry when we take the whole load. *

So first I made a battery securing system out of a thin piece of plywood. *Ya, I know the bucket is dirty, but these are kinda hard to find.. I've had this one since I built my house! (10 years)

Then I added a strap from a useless bag I had in the garage.

Next I soldered the connectors for the power cord and secured the cord with the strap.

With that done, I had to make a support for the head unit.

made to fit over the battery

Next, I took an old ipod cable and cut one end off. *I then slipped the wire through the ducer (it has a hole) and then affixed the cable to the ducer cable. *I made sure to keep a tiny bit of slack in the ducer cable so when the ducer is lifted by the ipod cable, all the weight is on the ipod cable. *

I needed a float, so I took 1/2" pipe insulation (self sticking) and added extra support using zip ties. *Above the float, I took a small piece of pipe insulation and wrapped a big zip tie around it, so it was snug on the two cables, this allows me to use this piece to slide up and down to adjust depth of the ducer. *

Done

Powered right up

I am psyched about it. *It's a bit heavy, but having the GPS and lake insight will make the extra few pounds well worth it methinks. Cheers

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Jason use the direct links...

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did... but I copied that and some how they got messed up... I fixed em, ya filthy nazi!

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
I did... but I copied that and some how they got messed up... I fixed em, ya filthy nazi!
Lol like in writing software it did exactly what you told it to do!!!

Nice work! $700 finder 4$ infrastructure...what Bud said!

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well designed and overbuilt -- Love it! 8) I'll bet this works out great for you.
Interesting you say overbuilt... I kept trying to minimize what I was doing... less wood, thinner pieces. My initial thought was 2x4s, then I had some 1x6 T&G siding I was gonna cut down, but finally found that 3/8" plywood (same stuff I made my tackle racks with) and it seemed perfect... any suggestions on how else to do this are highly encouraged.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Interesting you say overbuilt... I kept trying to minimize what I was doing... less wood, thinner pieces. My initial thought was 2x4s, then I had some 1x6 T&G siding I was gonna cut down, but finally found that 3/8" plywood (same stuff I made my tackle racks with) and it seemed perfect... any suggestions on how else to do this are highly encouraged.
Meant it as a compliment. It's a solid setup. Your work shows you've thought it through and can work with tools. I think most guys would just throw the battery into the bottom of the bucket without a custom wooden perch and strap arrangement. :).

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I gotcha... I thought maybe you had some ideas on how to simplify... I went through about 5 different options and considered using a few different materials (I have some composite decking leftover but it is SO heavy). I also considered mounting a ball receiver for my gator mount, but it would make the thing super tall or I would mount it off center making the whole unit off balance.

On another note, if anyone has a nice, clean 3 gallon bucket they would part with, I would appreciate it. It's tough to find the ones that are the same size as a 5 gallon only shorter...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts