Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was walking through Bass Pro shop (that place is heaven) and they had the Frabill Predator on sale for $499!

I loved everything about it except for the weight ~ 150 lbs! without stuff in it.

Do you guys think this is too heavy for one person to pull? I'm coming from a Clam 5600 which is 75 lbs.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Depends how much you like to work. Personally, I moan and complain when I pull my Jetsled without the powerauger. I love my snowmobiles, Wanna buy one or 2? Pull anything you want.

I figure if I am fishing down here, I will survie as I dont really need a hut. however up in the MTNs I bring a lot more crap and the hut, so a snowmobile is a must.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have Frabill Prowler, yes it is heavy, most of the weight is in the chairs. It also has the Glide Trax system reach really help to pull on the snow/ice. I always pull it by hand. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Throw a power auger in there and now you're talking about a workout. I would suspect any type of incline, like the parking area at Green Mtn by the dam, would be killer.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have a monster Eskimo shelter that I love when it's set up. I hate that thing when I have to haul it around by human power. The damn thing is around 130#'s, and then you need to add the weight of all the other junk you take out. It's great when I can put it behind the snowmobile because weight is no issue. If you are hauling a shelter behind your own back, don't, and I mean don't, get one of those heavy beasts.
Jclay and Lake 1177 have lightweight shelters that are much more practical. That's the type of shelter I would get if I had to to make my decision all over again.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
jeffmonument said:
I have Frabill Prowler, yes it is heavy, most of the weight is in the chairs. It also has the Glide Trax system reach really help to pull on the snow/ice. I always pull it by hand. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!
Same one we used at 11mile for that tourney a couple years back?

If so then yeah, just have a friend pull it and you'll be fine. Jeff pulled it about 80% of the way. ;) :D :D :D

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
§limer said:
jeffmonument said:

If so then yeah, just have a friend pull it and you'll be fine. Jeff pulled it about 80% of the way. ;) :D :D :D
Jeff is a strong young man...an international power lifting competitor. Pulls that hut like a team of draft horses.

(It really is a nice hut.)

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
i would think it would also be difficult just getting in and out of the truck if running solo. and what if you need to pull it across some small part of gravel or dirt before you get to the ice/snow? that might be also very hard. IMO!!!

Jim

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a Quickflip 3 from Eskimo, 119#s according to their site.
It's normally just me hauling the thing around, by hand. With my small ice chest, hand auger, flasher, extra clothing layers, cooking stuff etc. (yea i like to be mostly comfy out there)
on flat ground its a breeze. Inclines are not much fun, but go slow and if you can traverse it it's easier. I can load and unload it from my truck easily as well.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
§limer said:
jeffmonument said:

Yep, that is why i have some new ice fish'n friends, they say they are strong so I just watch ;D

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
The trick is grabbing a bottle of water and your Marcum...and then telling your buddy to follow along with the hut as you "search" for that perfect spot..even if you already know where you're going. Just make sure to stop now and then to shoot through the ice as your buddy catches his breath. ;)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Weight is a small price for comfort !!! I think clam makes a pullin harness that would make it alot easier. Around 30 bucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts