Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever venture up to Fraser to fish the the river or St.Louis Creek? I'm trying to put together a 2 day quick visit to the great state of Colorado and get the maximum amount of fly fishing in. Any luck up there? How about public access? Thanks

·
Registered
654 Posts
Last year a bud and I tried both out. Honestly, wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. Didn't think the Fraser had as much access as most info states on the web. Water looked great, but really didn't have any luck. Could have been just my fishing skills or lack of effort walking in farther. Access wasn't very clearly marked. Supposed to be good fishing there (gold medal I think, or at least Wild trout water) but didn't see any of it.

St. Louis-Pretty little stream. Seemed to have good access. Lots of very small brookies (up to 6"). Personally, I enjoy fishing a small stream and don't mind the size of the fish, but if your looking for something different than that, you probably aren't finding it on this water.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Believe it or not, the Fraser has lots of huge trout (20+ inches) just past the town of Fraser. Unfortunately, it's privately leased to the Rocky Mountain Angling Club, and you're surrounded by many large cattle when you fish there. It's kinda disconcerting when you're casting next to some very large mammals, not knowing what they're gonna do (I mean, they're related to those nasty rodeo bulls and Spanish fighting bulls, right?). Lot's of cowpies too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What type of fishing trip are you looking to do? What type of water..etc.? Maybe I can be of assistance based on knowing what you are looking for.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Donkey:

I'm looking on making a trout trip. Preferably a brookie trip but bows, browns and cuts will also do. Size of the fish doesn't matter but some solitude does. Location should be within a 2 hr drive of DIA airport. Goning to try to make it during the week and not on a weekend in July. thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Personally the Fraser is one of my favorite secret rivers. Their use to be a flyshop there i believe he closed last year. Park at the post office hop on the railroad tracks and hike back into the canyon. July 4th is the best time to be on it expect Large fish and a great Green Drake Hatch and dont forget a few case caddis. I think one day I shook a fish and their were so many case caddis in it it sounded like a Maraca. Excellent choice if you need any info just PM me and I'll try to help

Fish

1 - 6 of 6 Posts