Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Don't need an auger... I could use some good Wisconsin sharp cheddar and some cold smoked summer sausage though... I got the crackaz.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
smoked summer sausage that has a low relative temperature... Say, if you put it in a refrigerator for a length of time.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
smoked summer sausage that has a low relative temperature... Say, if you put it in a refrigerator for a length of time.
Got it, I thought maybe you were saying cold smoked, vs hot smoked.,Didnt get that you were saying cold, smoked summer sauasage. Thanks for clarification. :smile:

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Gotcha.

I might have hyphenated the "cold-smoked" part were that the case...

Putting the comma after "cold" (As you did) would have been the other way to clarify. To me, "smoked summer sausage" is the entirety of the noun, not just "summer sausage," so "cold" was the only modifying adjective, hence why I did not use the comma.

It would be similar to saying "big rainbow trout." Big is the adjective, "rainbow" is simply part of the noun: "rainbow trout." While that is the case, there are many types of trout, so it could be argued that "rainbow" is also an adjective, being that it modifies "trout." In that case, since you are using two adjectives, the proper structure would be "big, rainbow trout."

But since "rainbow trout" is a widely accepted compound, we accept that "big" is the adjective and this phrase would not require a comma, since it is not a "list" of adjectives.

Hence, "cold smoked summer sausage."

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Gotcha.

Putting the comma after "cold" (As you did) would have been the other way to clarify. To me, "smoked summer sausage" is the entirety of the noun, not just "summer sausage," so "cold" was the only modifying adjective, hence why I did not use the comma.

It would be similar to saying "big rainbow trout." Big is the adjective, "rainbow" is simply part of the noun: "rainbow trout." While that is the case, there are many types of trout, so it could be argued that "rainbow" is also an adjective, being that it modifies "trout." In that case, since you are using two adjectives, the proper structure would be "big, rainbow trout."

But since "rainbow trout" is a widely accepted compound, we accept that "big" is the adjective and this phrase would not require a comma, since it is not a "list" of adjectives.

Whoa, slow down English professor, making my head hurt.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Gotcha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts