Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be headin out again this weekend, and with temps lower than last weekend I'm going to be more prepared for my eyelets freezing. I did a search of posts and can't find what everyone here uses to stop eyelets from freezing. So what do you use? The one thing I have heard of was wd40.
Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
did you check the flyfishing section?? This has been discussed many times and into great detail in there. I use some paste and I have also used NON-UV chap stick with ok results

·
Registered
246 Posts
On my spinning rod at Blue Mesa last weekend the guides froze early, but the recoil guides on my new rod were easy and quick, just took a little flick to get them free and they weren't a problem like I have on my SIC and Concept guides. I also spray Reel Magic on my Power Pro and that helps on those smaller ceramic type guides. I'd spray WD-40 but someone would accuse me of using it to attract fish. ;) Plus it ain't worth the mess.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
Boondock said:
Number 2 micro guides.
I was wondering about the micro guides? Wouldn't they freeze up faster since there is less area ??
The smallest I have is 3.5. I really haven't fished that rod in weather under 25 degrees.
I have heard the 2's are so small that the line moving through them keeps them from freezing.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Boondock said:
FLYFISHGEEK said:
Boondock said:
Number 2 micro guides.
I was wondering about the micro guides? Wouldn't they freeze up faster since there is less area ??
The smallest I have is 3.5. I really haven't fished that rod in weather under 25 degrees.
I have heard the 2's are so small that the line moving through them keeps them from freezing.
Brilliant !! I hadn't actually considered the fact of the line occupying most of the free area.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
The size 2 micro guides are said to wick the water off the line at the guides, so hardly any water gets to the reel itself, and on the next cast, the ice will just fling off the guides and your set for another go at it.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
brown-time said:
Don't know about that. Just talked to a guy who night fished last night and he said his micro-guides sucked for freezing up.
Tuck? Those are size 4 or 5's on the veggie stick. Big difference

1 - 15 of 15 Posts