Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever buy any fresh or flash frozen salmon roe off the internet? Would it work the same as koke or trout roe? The site I was on was pretty affordable $7.00# plus shipping.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
In my experience and I've been throwing sacs for 30 years,the store-bought stuff NEVER works as well as the real stuff.I suppose it's better than nothing, but you might as well use powerbait,IMO.

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
I agree with Slayer. I have tried both and koke roe wins hands down. Fresh or thawed koke roe is an entirely different consistancy and smell than the kind you buy. That kind comes from your ocean going salmon. Different species than ours and our trout are looking for what is common to them. The purchased stuff tends to be really milky where the Koke roe is very oily. I was catching macks like crazy one year at Williams Fork on koke sacks until I made the mistake of combining my remaining koke roe with some that I had purchased from the bait shop. Gave it a completely different smell and apperance and my catching came to a halt.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I like to use eggs from whitefish myself. I also use rainbow or brown trout eggs too...never koke eggs, but I guess that's cuz I don't catch hardly any kokes. I like to get the eggs and mix it w/ borax rather than using netting.
A good thing to do is if whitefish are spawning in a shallow pool in a river, fish with eggsacks below them. The big browns and bows will hammer it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts