Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a place in Denver that sells big fresh suckers so that I can cut it into strips for tipping tubes for Lake Trout?

Also, what is the best way to go about this? Fillet then cut into strips or do you cut them into steaks (like salmon steaks) then remove the guts?

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
I fillet them and cut into strips of varying sizes,including tiny pieces to tip kasty's with.Bills has live suckers sometimes,I think Gander in aurora has 'em.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Eric,

Right now the South Platte in Chatfield has a school of suckers in nearly every deep pool. Why not go and catch a few??? Nightcrawlers or salmon eggs seem to work okay.

Jeff

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jd_anyfishwilldo said:
Hi Eric,

Right now the South Platte in Chatfield has a school of suckers in nearly every deep pool.   Why not go and catch a few???  Nightcrawlers or salmon eggs seem to work okay.

Jeff
Below the dam or actually in the reservoir?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Eric,

I've been goin upstream from the reservoir.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Chatfield. Go through the main gate and make a right at the intersection. Follow the road around and make a right just before the bridge that crosses the Platte and drive to the far end of the lot. You'll have to walk down the gravel road between the two ponds. When you almost get to the far end of the larger pond there will be a trail that goes to your left into the trees toward the river. Follow that trail and where it hits the river is one of thes pots I've been catching the suckers. But there are several pools that you can try.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
hi are u catching those suckers on nightcrawlers can u see them in the river or do u just throw a crawler out and they hit it thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
With the runoff, you probably won't be able to see them now. But yes a nightcrawler (or salmon egg) on the bottom is what my daughter and I were using.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts