Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used McCormics Crab boil and Zatarans liquid. Found both at King Soopers. Thought about Old Bay, but thats what I used to put on the blue crabs I would get in Delaware. The crayfish sure turned out good though.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Sounds great. There are a range of options, some better than others. Boils can be pretty simple, but I have had a few bad ones.

Bay, mustard seed, paprika, cayenne, white pepper corns, celery seed, filé, garlic powder, cloves, and rock salt is a good boil you can put together at home.

SS

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nice! Did you do that cleaning out process, or is it not necessary? I'm a rookie, but love crawdads.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice! Did you do that cleaning out process, or is it not necessary? I'm a rookie, but love crawdads.

No, I did some research on it, and to properly do it, you need a couple days and a kiddy pool to soak them in, or some say you can put salt on them, and rinse them a couple times, but your more likely to kill them doing that. Most of what I found said you dont even need to purge them, and since the water is clean they weren't dirty at all.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I picked up a trap last week and look forward to using it this weekend and having a little boil myself. That's cool you caught those on rod and chicken :)

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Ok ok I like a good crawfish boil to but you gotta purge em in cornmeal/ water mixture to clean em out c'mon I'm no rocket scientist but thats pretty basic stuff, there mud bugs lol

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Just throw em in a cooler half or 3/4 full of water , add some cornmeal and a little ice if needed to maintain the temps and watch what the water looks like in a few hours, lol, then feed em to your friends and Asian relatives double lol

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I have never tried crayfish but damn that looks good!
They are if you like to work for your food. I've trapped thousands of them, no limit and have 30 or so traps if you want to borrow and try it sometime. The best bait is fish parts, as fresh as possible, I used to save the heads and carcasses from the fish I fileted and freeze them for crawdad bait. Gotta kill em before you transport em now though.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
They are if you like to work for your food. I've trapped thousands of them, no limit and have 30 or so traps if you want to borrow and try it sometime. The best bait is fish parts, as fresh as possible, I used to save the heads and carcasses from the fish I fileted and freeze them for crawdad bait. Gotta kill em before you transport em now though.
I might have to take you up on your offer. I enjoy trying new things and have been curious about crayfish for a while. I'll get with you on this.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Mmnn makes me want to hit 11 mile with a turkery fryer filled with some of these tasty recommendations. Would trout guts and heads be technically illegal for traps? I'm just putting them in the trash otherwise...

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I've got a nice location for anyone who wants it... millions of mudbugs.... can't cast without having them attack your line. Saw a couple fellows with traps... they were pulling out hundreds of these little buggers at a time. Unbelievable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts