Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - Heres my question -

After fishing at chatfield for the last year i have used pretty much all of my lures. Now im heading up to canada for the summer.  I know the water in canada is going to be much cleaner & contain less feces. Do i need to de-stink my lures ? Should i get some of that scent in a bottle stuff? 

Im not sure if the scent of chatfield will turn the fish off up there.... but im guessing it cant be good for much.....

Suggestions?

·
Registered
32 Posts
CFF, Not sure but I go to Canada on fly in trips every year and have never had a problem with lures, Jis, and other trolling gear that I use here. I think the fish up there are so thick it really doesn't matter. You can always use rocky mountain spring water coming down stream from Golden..

·
Registered
902 Posts
I take offense. I love CO, including all fecal matter within. I guess the only thing worse then feces is canadian feces. :p

L

·
0 Posts
No you don't need to do anything to your lures.

I bring three lures to Canada, #5 mepps, Large yellow 5 'o diamonds and round jigheads (various colors). I can catch trophy Northerns and Walleyes all day on those three lures. Of course this is where I go in northern Manitoba, other waters will vary.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well, one thing for sure, Chatfield isn't the Caribbean......crystal clear clean. It sure would be great if it were. Just think if you could put bait down, down, down in the water at Chatfield and actually see a fish grab bite at it. Sometimes I even wonder how adult and kids could even "think" about swimming in Chatfield or any other lake that has murky/cloudy water in it.
Cody

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
just remember that murky/cloudy just might be nutrient rich and help grow big fish.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips guys^^^^^

Has anyone ever tried using an underwater camera at chatfield???

I was thinking about buying one but then i figured u probably couldnt even see 2 ft in front of the camera in that murk.

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
no need to clean your lures...unless...hmmm unless...you have a lot of time on your hands and enjoy looking and sorting your tackle as much as do....i would suggest respooling your reels with new line. :)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
chatfieldfisherman said:
Has anyone ever tried using an underwater camera at chatfield???
I know someone who tried usinging their digital camera underwater at chatfield. The great thing about fishing in Canada is there is so much water up there that fish arent as pressured so your lures will do just fine up there with or without scent.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know someone who tried usinging their digital camera underwater at chatfield.

Does this mean u knew someone who tried placing their digital camera underwater & taking a pic? lol? or was it an underwater camera?

Ok so i will buy some new line when i get up there and if they dont bite on my lures...... - then i will clean them or scent them or something :^)

Anyone think its worth it to buy an underwater camera? I have been a no electronics fisherman for most of my life, this last year i finally caved and bought a finder(cause i was catching approximately..... nothing.... at chatfield) On all the television fishing shows they use Flashers, Finders & underwater cameras (I even saw Bill Dance promoting this little deal that put out the sounds of fish feeding into the water). I cant really see how having all that **** makes the fish more likely to bite.... With a finder you can see where they are ill give you that, but the other stuff.... they are probably just trying to promote their sponsers huh?

Anyone had massive success with a flasher/camera/other devices?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I would love to have an aqua vu. I am all for fishing electronics. I have got to where I find it very hard to ice fish without my vexilar. There is not much that's better than sitting there with the flasher and watching that red mark come up off the bottom to get your bait while your jigging it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Where are you going in Canada? I have fished Lake of the Woods in Ontario for many many years ( 25+). Mostly for musky, but I have caught oodles and oodles of wallys and smallys in the same waters. The shad rap is tough to beat for the walls and smalls when they are on a feeding binge. We sat on a rocky point one year of of Sabaskong and limited out for the week in two days and kept going back for shore lunch chow... We've done OK on bait, but not as well as the shads...

If you are going farther North than that - to the big Wally waters - I would say bring a 500count of crawlers or 2 or 3 from Cabelas. Fish them on phelps floaters, or a half on a jig head. You will get them!

Are you going with a guide at all? If so, I would do that first thing for several days to help figure out the waters you will be fishing. Then - DUPLICATE and watch for his boats!

I don't think you need to invest in a camera. Get out on the big water and watch for the guide boats.. 16-18' Lunds with 3-4 fisherman and a guide... Watch where they go from a distance and follow suite... Kinda sneaky, but you will be in the right areas. Then concentrate on your depth finder and figure out if they were fishing a drop, shelf, flat, etc... You get the picture...

If you ARE going to Lake of the Woods, ( or any lake known for big Northerns)you would be an idiot not to take your Musky gear!! (broomstick pole with an Ambassader level wind, 30-40lb test, steel leader, big bucktail or Suick/Bobby bait) My dad pulled out a 50" last year, and my college buddy got 2 over 50!!

Wish I were going!!! But it's Alaska in August for me this year!

Tim-COS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Having done a fair amount of scuba diving in Chatfield, I can tell you that the vis is generally pretty poor, 2-4 feet as a rule. However, there are a few large areas of gravel bottom where we've seen pretty incredible vis, up to 25 feet or so early in the year before the algae blooms. I've done some underwater photography in the lake, if you use a flash or a light, be sure that it's offset from the lens, or all it will do is illuminate the particles in the water, and ruin the picture. I've never tried a video camera there, but I'm sure that the effect would be the same. We have noticed that our lights can attract fish, however. One final note... if anything touches the bottom at all, the silt cloud immediately eliminates visibility entirely! I'd be really interested to hear how anyone makes out with a video camera rig.

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
    You are right fishinpox,I've used my AquaVu at Chatfield quite a bit and with the multi colored light on, it does spark the fishes interest, but it doesn't help the bite...lol...I can usually see about 8 feet with the multi colored over the white light at Chatfield except for when it drags on the bottom like you said. As soon as the camera hits the bottom and stirs up the silt its like the lights go completely out, more so down the river bed!!!
    Have fun and cya on the water!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
If your going to Canada early, right after ice out hit the shallower bays and fan cast a bass spinnerbait or throw a husky jerk.

I caught a 43'' northern with a husky jerk and 8lb test on spinning gear. It was a blast, took me twenty five minutes to get him in. I was able to weigh and measure him and get him back in the water. I spent about three minutes reviving him.

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
Uncle Fester said:
If your going to Canada early, right after ice out hit the shallower bays and fan cast a bass spinnerbait or throw a husky jerk.

I caught a 43'' northern with a husky jerk and 8lb test on spinning gear. It was a blast, took me twenty five minutes to get him in. I was able to weigh and measure him and get him back in the water. I spent about three minutes reviving him.

NICE POST! i would LOVE to catch a Pike :) CATCHA PIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

·
Registered
833 Posts
Kodiak,
You want pike head up to Stagecoach. We'll be up there next weekend depending on conditions. (No bass though).
Our biggest pike so far is 44 in.
Email me if you are interested in going. Guess what they bite on?
Thanks again for the info.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts