Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked a small pond near my house and it had about 1.5" of ice on a few feet out from the edge. No snow on top, only some frosty stuff. Totally capped except one small shiny looking area (it was dark). Likely where some waterfowl have been. Looking at the forecast, I should have fishable ice by Sunday afternoon, if not earlier. I'm not sure if it will actually happen, but it's good to hope for. I was catching some decent crappie and bluegill on my fly rod there weekend before last.

Froze my ass off checking the ice.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'll be looking for some ice on Sunday as well. I'm hoping that the snake river arm will be frozen enough to try for some salmon. If not I'll try Georgetown. If both attempts fail I'll be looking for higher elevation lakes.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
55 next week...die ice die!!!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
bobys, the other thread was me asking people to go ice and them bitching that they either can't or won't. Here comes a dude searching it out wherever he can find it.

My hero...l

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thanks for checking and the update, Shaun -- be careful if you go this weekend.
Won't be long now before most of the bass ponds are ready.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for checking and the update, Shaun -- be careful if you go this weekend.
Won't be long now before most of the bass ponds are ready.
Thanks, tempting to head out east or Nebraska. I'm pretty sure there's good ice on a few spots that are worth the trip.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Just last night Kathy Saben (so dreamy) had the high next week in the low 40's. twelve hours later the forecast is now mid fifty's
According to my weather app on my iPhone, it's not supposed to make it out of the 40s... And the lows will be in the teens and low 20s. Live ice! Live!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I've decided to use nothing but my ice rods the rest of this winter. There's a dock or two around here that I can park my ass on, drop my Lowrance transducer down and jig for panfish, crappie and bass.

And hell, chumming is legal here, so I'll just chum the f*** out of the area below the dock and murder some eaters all winter on the vertical.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I've decided to use nothing but my ice rods the rest of this winter. There's a dock or two around here that I can park my ass on, drop my Lowrance transducer down and jig for panfish, crappie and bass.

And hell, chumming is legal here, so I'll just chum the f*** out of the area below the dock and murder some eaters all winter on the vertical.
See, you don't need Colorado to ice fish. If you missed eating lake trout, I will trade you 2 nice gills for 1 15" Green Mt. Laker. I can only ship 8 Lakers at a time;)

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
On ice fishing, its the experience of having two completely different worlds separated by a 5" floor... The sonar is like a portal viewer into that "alternate dimension". When you pierce the chasm with your auger, you have one way and one way only to extract your quarry and that's through the hole you put in the "Wall".

The fish cannot jump or run under the dock. It is like the closet in the Chronicles of Narnia...

The ice is so quiet, too... Wind does not affect your bait under the ice and you can shelter yourself under a shelter or hut.

You can walk out on the ice to areas of structure, otherwise requiring a boat... This cannot be done without ice.

It is a unique thing... A truly amazing way to experience the joys of fishing.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I tell ya... There was ONE other experience in my life that was close.

Lake PaloPinto Texas... Family friend had a private boat dock (stilted close to shore, but floating further out)... On the end of this dock was a "dock house" which was basically a wooden ice shelter with shelves and room for 3-4 people to sit comfortably.

He had a trap door on the floor of this shelter which he would open and we would vertically jig crappie from 10-14" all day using yellow and white crappie jigs.

He had a heater in there for winter fishing and dumped his Christmas tree under the dock every year. Those damn crappie were THIIICK in there, mang...

That would suffice, I think, if I had my Lowrance permanently mounted in there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Evergreen had ice across the lake

Warm today...snow tomorrow....it needs a few weeks of cold soak before I would venture out...I was surprised at how fast it iced up though!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts