Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so the front range ice should be ON this weekend, right? Where is everybody gonna be at? (Johnny O is going to be at Lambeau Field 8)--where are the rest of you guys gonna be?)

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'd give Douglas or Lake Loveland a try, if the ice was good this weekend - not sure if the lid will be strong enough by then, though.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
DanDan,

let us know if you give CC a go. I've never iced there and if it is thick enough I might give it go.

Dan

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
The tower at CC is a hoot! There are so many people in such a small area that the ice sags under the weight and these dudes are sitting in their chairs in 4 inches of water! You gotta do it at least once.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SLAYERFISH said:
The tower at CC is a hoot! There are so many people in such a small area that the ice sags under the weight and these dudes are sitting in their chairs in 4 inches of water! You gotta do it at least once.
Been there, done that, one time. It was insane. I will fish on two inches of solid clean ice, but I felt the Grim Reaper breathing on my neck that day!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cutthroat said:
I'd give Douglas or Lake Loveland a try, if the ice was good this weekend - not sure if the lid will be strong enough by then, though.
I was planning to go check ice at Loveland and Lone Tree on THursday. Can you check Douglas? I would be up for any of these lakes Sat or Sun.

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
Please post or PM if Loveland has ice,Need a perch or wally fix.

F

·
0 Posts
I drove past lake loveland on tuesday and didn't see any ice at all..

·
Registered
53 Posts
All of these are around Lovelad:

Went to Horseshoe on wed, 3-4 inches good ice, no fish...too cold!!! Boyd had a cap but it just formed over the last two nights.(how much does ice freeze in a night?) Also went to lake loveland it was about 50% capped over as of wed. All of the shallower bodies of water(guersie, big thompson ponds, etc) have good caps but didn't verify thickness.

Good fish'n ><000`>

·
Registered
82 Posts
Reg,
Elvis bailed on me this weekend for the Lake John ride. Let me know what Loveland, Lonetree and maybe Haglar are like I would be interested in meeting upwith you

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Sorry Grizz, that was probably our fault.. I think we froze him pretty good, and he got skunked. Not a very good combination :(.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Yeah, if you freeze on your first trip it might become your last. 17 years ago I froze on my first ever trip at Antero.

That day we used a spud bar on the ice and my boots su*#ed. I vowed to never ice fish again.

I was lured back by stories of hundreds of fish at Blue Mesa...I went there and had great luck and the rest is history!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
steelfish said:
All of these are around Lovelad:

Went to Horseshoe on wed, 3-4 inches good ice, no fish...too cold!!!  Boyd had a cap but it just formed over the last two nights.(how much does ice freeze in a night?)   Also went to lake loveland it was about 50% capped over as of wed.  All of the shallower bodies of water(guersie, big thompson ponds, etc) have good caps but didn't verify thickness.   

Good fish'n ><000`>
A guy on the Neb. forum said when it is 10 degrees below freezing, you make about an inch a night.  I have no proof of that, but it sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Grizz3767 said:
Reg,
Elvis bailed on me this weekend for the Lake John ride.  Let me know what Loveland, Lonetree and maybe Haglar are like I would be interested in meeting upwith you
There's a better than average chance. Keep in touch.

I think Johnny O is right, we all froze our butts off. I went up to WY the other day and froze up there, too. It's all good though if some of these local lakes freeze over!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Went out this morning to check a few north front range places. Left early while it was still about 5 below. The Sub-Arctic Kee Bird was calling.

The Sub-Arctic Kee Bird is the one that goes:
"Kee! Kee! Kee-rist it's cold!"

Lon Hagler reservoir: totally frozen, about 2 in. of ice. I walked on it and it didn't crack. Well, not too much anyway.

Lonetree Reservoir: totally frozen over.

Lake Loveland: totally frozen over.

Boyd Lake: totally frozen over.

Horsetooth Reservoir: about 50% iced over. Unfortunately the open areas are kind of hard to get to. The ice looked extremely thin and transparent.

I was hoping to find a bunch of open water. [sob!]

1 - 20 of 43 Posts