Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pike seem to be a hot topic at the moment. So here goes,are there any pike left in cherry creek? Have heard all the rumors but dont know anyone that has actually seen one! Where is the best pike spot close to denver Lets say within 30 minute drive? I have seen muskies in strnge places (lake Arbor in arvada a14 incher that took aminnow on a slip bober) but no pike.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you still have to draw for a permit to fish there?

M

·
0 Posts
nope, just take a 15 minute class, pay 3 bucks each tiem, the pike there are huge

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Yeah, too bad they aren't going to open till sometime in June, and only stay open for fishing till early October. :( The whole refuge is going to be closed all of April & May.

·
Registered
935 Posts
All of the other pike fisheries in the frontrange that I'm aware of are private.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
the arsenal is 3 bucks a day. definetely used to be worth it, don't know about now though. it gets a ton of no fishing fools hitting it now(killing fish)and lots of unethical anglers and it shows. the fishing is nowhere as good as it was three years ago when they restricted how many people could be out there.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Boyd Lake in Loveland used to have pike. Way back in the day I met the guy who at that time had the state record. He would fish for pike by wading in the shallows. His state record was around 22 lb caught on a #2 Mepps spinner. This was back in the 60's or 70's. Don't know if any pike remain there.
Also, the pond just north of the Poudre R in Ft Collins used to have pike - but I think it was always a very marginal fishery. Also back in the day, pike were stocked into Horsetooth Res. I personally never heard of anyone catching one.
John

·
Registered
100 Posts
I dont know if you would consider Cheeseman Res. close but I have caught some nice pike there. and for me it is less than an hour drive. The biggest Pike I have ever caught have been out of the arsenal but I have not fished it in a long time. Good Luck.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I caught a 34" Pike at Bonny about 8 years ago during a walleye tournament and I have heard of bigger pike being caught there? I wouldn't drive there to target Pike specifically though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts