Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i submitted this as an acrtical.  but it did not make the mustard however i thought i would share it anyway.
it's a little long for  a post so iam sorry but give it a try.  let me know what you think.

The frugal fisherman project #1

By: deputycinnamonbear

Broken Rod? While this can be a agonizing situation don?t let it get you down too much. For a few dollars and about an hour of your time I have a suggestion that will make this loss a bit more bearable. Turn that broken rod into a top-notch ice fishing rod.

Here is what we need: first and most obvious a broken fishing pole we will need both pieces a rod handle and pole (note both pieces don?t have to come from the same rod).  We will also need a hacksaw or similar fine tooth saw, epoxy, tape measure, fine sand paper, bottle of rubbing alcohol and some electrical tape (optional items include fiberglass resin I had some left over from an automotive repair and heat shrink tubing).

All right lets get started.  Measuring from the top of the rod handle measure out 1? and mark the rod with a piece of electrical tape.  Using the hacksaw carefully cut the rod handle and set aside.

Now for the rod it?s self.  Taking the rest of the broken rod and carefully cut the broken section from the rod.  I suggest leaving anywhere from 2? to 3 ½? of rod.  After you have the length of rod you want carefully slide the rod into the handle.  I suggest that you slide the new rod into the handle as far as possible this creates a stronger rod and you have less of a chance of your rod coming out of the handle.  You may need to remove one or two line guides to accomplish this.  Once you have determined how much of the rod will fit in the handle mark the rod with a small piece of tape just above the rod handle.  
Take the sand paper and lightly sand the rod below the piece of tape.  On a clean rag dampen with rubbing alcohol and wipe down the rod below the piece of tape this will remove any debris and oil?s this will help the epoxy bond the rod handle and rod together.  At this point I place a 3? piece of heat shrink and slide it up the rod as far as it will go and leave it for later.
Using the electrical tape wrap the end of the rod until it fits snugly into the rod handle. After this is compete wrap the electrical tape in the same fashion approximately ½? below the piece of tap marking the top of the rod that fits into the rod handle.

Now it?s time to mix the epoxy or fiberglass resin.  I mix up about two ounces but this amount might differ depending on the size of the rod.  Holding the rod handle vertically pour approximately 1 ½ ounce into the rod handle.  Slowly insert the rod into the rod handle.  Be sure to wipe away any epoxy that may push its way out of the rod handle.  Once the rod is completely inserted use the rest of the epoxy to completely fill the rest of the rod handle.
If you are using heat shrink now is time to slide it down place approximately 1 ½? on the rod handle and the rest on the rod.  Make sure that the line guides are lined up straight with the reel seat. Heat until the heat shrink shrinks tightly around the rod handle and rod.

If you chose not to use heat shrink, wrap electrical tape around the top of the rod handle and rod creating a tight seal.   Be sure to line up the line guides before completely securing the rod handle and rod together.
You?re almost finished now its time to let the epoxy dry.  I hang my rods from the rod handle so that I am sure that the epoxy dries at the connection between the rod and rod handle.  Drying time differs from epoxy to epoxy; I personal allow my rods to dry for at least 72 hours.  

The only thing left to due now is to mount the reel, string the line, and go fishing.

While a broken rod can be an agonizing situation, with just a few dollars and about an hour of your time you can take a broken rod and turn it into a first class ice fishing rod.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
i found the top peace of an ugly stick last time i went fishing so now i know what to do with it
not for ice fishing but a small pole my kids can use or just mess around with thanks

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
This is where most of my ice rods come from. I'm always finding tips around.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
why bother when you can buy a cheap ice pole for about 10 bucks, that will probably math the action that you get out of a broken pole tip, i personally use the st croix and the berkley lightning rod ice poles and they are like having a full size pole in a small package, they are not flimsy and cheap like most pole tip rods are. ice fishing is my #1 type of fishing so why use substandard equip, most of you wouldnt use a junky pole for open water..most people that disagree with this statement probably havent used a really good ice pole(30 dollars and up) so don't knock it until you have caught a couple fish on one,they feel really good, and work really good especially when you have a 7lb trout on the other end, cheap poles i dont think would cut it. i would hate to lose one that size because of my equipment.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
yea if i had money i think buying a really nice pole would be the way to go but
i have never had that luxury of just buying stuff
so making it out of stuff that i have well its ok for me
and i do understand that most dont see it that way

but when i can catch a fish with something i made well thats a better feeling then you might know and well if it breaks it well then becomes a great story on how the big one came a broke that nice pole i made with my own hands but thats just me

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
I build some very nice ice rods! My fly rod is hand-built by me using a Loomis blank. I have built many open water rods and they work better than store bought. Anyways, I have built ice rods both from store bought blanks and from tips I have found. They are excellent rods -not a piece of junk! That said,I also have some nice store bought ice rods and they work great.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
you are the exception slayer, you know as well as i do that most people making their ice poles out of broken ones are not using quality rods or blanks for them.. and as far as not being able to afford them, go to the stores now, decent (not great) ice poles are like 12 bucks, if you cant afford that some time in the next month, maybe i should give you one of the 10 extra poles that i don't use anymore after finding the st croix and the berkley lightning rods(not the cheesy lightning rods with the plastic reel sleeves)the older style that you tape your reel to. these poles kick ass when you get a big fish on... i'd rather tell a story of a big fish that i caught insted of one that got away..

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
im really amazed that you didnt rip on fg for making his own lures and not going out and buying some
expensive ones that you like or use jamiehughes

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i agree if you can make something on your own that works better that what you can buy, like a lure that you can make do and look like what you want then go for it, but there are very few ice poles made out of long rods that work well because the action is all wrong, they are designed to work properly at their length not half of it, the good model ice rods are made to work properly at their length.. i think that fg gets kudos for what he does.

F

·
0 Posts
I can see both sides of this story. I will say this though. If your tournament fishing and there is money on the line without a doubt your going to want the higher end models. BUT!!! If I can catch fish on something that I made with my own hands and igenuity it gives me a great sence of accomplishment and pride. I think it just two different personality's...I would rather catch 2 decent fish on something I made myself then 5 big fish on something I purchased. I'm gonna try the frugal fisherman project as soon as this fall fishing slows down.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Awhile back I brok my wife's rod by snagging a crankbait on a log while trolling. Since she really liked the rod, and it was hollow, I cut off a 6" length of a broken tip that was about the right size to insert into both pieces of the broken rod. I epoxied it in, then wrapped 1" on either side of the break and over the break with heavy polyester thread, and epoxied it with rodbuilding epoxy. The rod bends just like it always did before broken, and my wife didn't divorce me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts