Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i tried pella for the first time.And i saw plenty of little bluegills,baby bass tried storm wildeye soft shad in baby bass and perch.NOTHING.Then went to webster and tried plastics,crankbaits,topwater frogs,bubble and flys NOTHING!!!!!Does anybody have any lures are work really good at pella cuz i liked this place a lot.Thanx

·
Registered
324 Posts
i ahven't fished pella but try watermelon gulp baits they really been producing for me lately up in ft.collins and i told my uncle about theese he lives up in craig colorado he tried them in the yampa and said he is catching more bass right now with them so just a thought like i said i dont even know where pella is let alone fished it before

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Don't know if this has anything to do with it (I've never fished Pella) but this lake got ALOT of mention here on this site in the spring and early summer. I'm guessing it got more fishing pressure this year than past years. My experience is, when word gets out about the good fishing on a small body of water, people show up alot more and the fishing plummets. Just a theory.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Or it could just be the summer doldrums. ::)

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
kirbydog said:
I'm guessing it got more fishing pressure this year than past years.  My experience is, when word gets out about the good fishing on a small body of water, people show up alot more and the fishing plummets. Just a theory.
Actually.....

I've been to these ponds before a few years back and several times those few years back the pressure seems heavy as usual. The fish there are smart no doubt. Those few years back, I went there and the bass were extremely finicky. I finally went again this year and the results are pretty close to same. The difference is... Well, what I think the difference is... The time of year you go. I went in early spring at Pella and the results weren't bad at all and consistant. Whether it be perch or bass, I was either catching fish or getting hits consistantly. I didn't pay much attention to the actual water temps, but what I paid attention to is the first wave of uninterrupted high 60's to low 70 degree weather. From the spawn to the post spawn, it got tougher here.

That's just Pella though. There's some other ponds that I've seen action pick up noticeably after the prespawn, but those places I don't even visit no more. As for those few years back when I visited Pella, I recall I visited during summer also.

As for the fishing pressure part that may make fishing slow due to either lack of fish or higher fish IQ levels... I now kind of changed my view on that. I used to believe that Sawhill Ponds in Boulder might have just bit the dust because of the increased pressure it receives, but from the posts on this forum, people who know what they're doing are still gettin into nice sized bass there every once so often but just not as often.

1eyeReD

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got there at 6 and stayed till 11 and i only saw one other fisherman so it might not be pressure from now but from pasy years.

B

·
0 Posts
I was there about a month ago and caught a couple of real nice ones on a yellow spinner bait. I Guy walked by me to the next spot over and caught one on a dark senko.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
This time of year you got to belly boat this lake for good numbers, the fish are down in the submerged weed beds on the south end of the lake. Rootbeer tube texas rigged and its on.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx guys for the help.Which pond has the smallmouths?And which of the ponds is the best for bass?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts