Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My one and only friend who got me and another friend in to fly fishing some time back came in to town and wanted to go fly fishing. When the Pan calls you have to accept the charges. I will only briefly speak of the driving conditions on I-70 on tuesday and wednesday because if I were to elaberate it would take some time. Needless to say it took between 5 and 6 hours there and back. We almost stopped and fished the blue(which looks good by the way) but like I said when the Pan calls. Arrived about 11:30 on tues morning. It was blowing snow like crazy. The fish were not rising very often so we set up in the flats area. There was a group in the toilet bowl who looked like they had been there for a while (stoves, coolers, ect...) When they left I headed in. Fished the usual mysis combo with the dreaded split shot. Caught a couple beautiful browns. Sorry about the pic quality.

We fished the rest of the day in and around the flats and bend pool. It was some ugly weather but any day on the pan is a great day.

The next day despite a night filled with the usual fisherman lies and to much cheap beer and jack d we managed to get on river early, about 9:00am. We all split up and I headed down to the willows. Now pardon if I get a little teary eyed but this is where I caught my first fish on a dry fly. I did it again. I caught fish on a dry fly in a blizzard. It was snowing so hard you could hardly see your rod let alone the fly, but against all odds I did it.

I had to take a pic of this guy with the fly in his mouth so my friends would belive me.

At the end of the day we all took fish on dries. It was a great trip. It's good to know you fished in weather that some people wouldn't ski in. There were a hand full of people up there. Flows were about 125. Weather wasn't that bad unless the wind blew. There is something kind of nice about fishing in the middle of the river while it is snowing. Go see the guys at Taylor Creek they are always great and they set me up with the winning flies.

Here is a glimpse of the fishing conditions.

On a side note we discovered a little jem called Tim-Bo's pizza. This is the best pizza I have ever had. It is in Basalt right next to the 7-11. Amazing stuff we went twice. I mean it if you are fishing the pan, the fork, rueidi, or just hungry go to Tim-Bo's. And if your coming back to Fort Collins throw a stromboli in your cooler and call me!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hatchmaster,
Very nice report! I'll have to admit, with those conditions, I may have had second thoughts about skiing, much less fly fishing. It's nice to see that your determination paid off, as those look like some very nice browns.
I know that you nymphed some mysis shrimp (always a good idea if there isn't much surfacing on the pan). I'm curious tho, what dry fly and size was working for you? The picture (of the fly) is fuzzy. Is it a griffith's gnat or what?
Again, congrats and continued success!

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Is the Pan Single hook fly and lure onle up by the dam. just wondering, I bet ripping some rapalas in there would get some big ones.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Trout said:
Is the Pan Single hook fly and lure onle up by the dam. just wondering, I bet ripping some rapalas in there would get some big ones.
It's not single hook but it is fly and lure only for the whole stretch if I am not mistaken. I have caught some nice rainbows and browns, even a massive brookie or two on tube jigs. 3-4" white tube jigs. You spot a fish and you throw it by their nose several times. Eventually, since a big fish is territorial, they will strike it. It may take 4 casts by its nose it may take 12. They almost always will strike it after a time though, especially if they haven't been recently hooked. Just make sure you cast well upstream of the fish and it drifts down there so as not to spook the fish. Sometimes in the toiletbowl hole the fish are feeding more on mysis than they seemed to be during your trip hatchmaster. They were only releasing 125? Try hitting it when they are releasing around 200 or so, as they occaisionally do. Sometimes they go a whole winter without that much water, in that case fish the pan in the early spring when they start releasing more water. There will be more mysis in the river and the fish will be looking exclusively for mysis (however "crashing the hatch" still works).

·
Registered
438 Posts
One of the very best fly fishing days I have ever had was on the Pan when it was snowing steady; no blizard, just steady snow. My buddy and I started to leave but noticed fish starting to rise. We stayed in the river while everyone else left. It was like wading in an aquarium. Everywhere you looked you saw nice fish holding in the current and rising to very small flies. We used size 20 adams parachutes and had a ball. Those kind of days are rare for this homey.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Nice Pic's...When the FRYING PAN calls you have to drop everything and go...Thinking about heading up to the Blue this next week...any reports on the Blue from anyone?

Nice pic's again...

TH

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We stopped in silverthorne on the way up and checked out the blue. It looks good. Looks like the flows are up a little. I know they are not the most popular on this site but cutthroat anglers in silverthorne has some good info. They also sell the best Black Beauties IMO.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Great pictures!!! Only a true die hard would endure the long drive and terrible weather conditions to fish.

I was wondering if you tried any mysis shrimp patterns at all?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We did try mysis. I found that the kind with the fuzzy body's worked better than the epoxy kind. The fuzzyer the better I think. I wonder if a small white bugger would work?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts