Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out late yesterday afternoon and fished til dark then camped out there with the girlfriend (if you can call sleeping on an air matress in the back of a pick-up camping out). ::) Anyway, the bite was OK then got excellent right before dark-I caught 5-6 that were right at 15" and some smaller ones. All on a 4 or 5" senko. Color didn't seem to matter-I used a dark smoke with silver flake and a green pumpkin. I tried fishing for cats for about an hour after dark but my stinkbait kept coming off the hook so I gave up. Nest time I'm gonna catch a few bluegills and cut them up-a guy that fishes for cats alot at this pond said thats a much better bait anyway. Ed

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually its round. ::) Its called Haynes. Ed

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Make sure you dont use live fish as bait... from what I can tell killing them and using them is ok but not live fish. Thats what their rules state.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a good rule-alot of unwanted species get introduced to lakes because live minnows get dumped into a lake when someone is done fishing. I'm guessing those goldfish that are in Pikeview got put in that way. Hopefully the muskies will control them. Ed

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I havent noticed as many goldfish the last time I was there, but I did notice large schools of suckers instead. So maybe the muskies targeted the goldfish and koi first and now will go after the suckers. There were some rather large goldfish in that lake though... noticed a couple of dead ones on shore.

Is Haynes the first pond or the 3rd? Seen some big rainbows in that first pond. Heard they were catching some cats off crawdads too.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i have heard these ponds are basicaly catch and release as the fish are unsafe to eat dut to contamination can anyone confirm or deny this?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ePic-Haynes is the first pond on the south side of the gravel road.

Roadkill-All of the ponds on Ft. Carson suffer from mercury contamination. The trout are OK to eat because they are a put and take fish and aren't in the water that long before being caught and consumed. Other species like bass and catfish should not be consumed unless you want to grow a second head on your shoulders. ;D Honestly, I think the bass fishing is good precisely because the fish are returned to the water. That and most of the guys who fish there target the trout and leave other species like bass and catfish alone. Ed

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its about an hour from the south side. Honestly, if your'e coming that far, there are alot of places with as good or better fishing right in Denver/Boulder area. Ed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts