Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit arapahoe ponds today and saw only 3 gills and 2 large carp. I only fished 1 pond but i hit it pretty hard, no bass. Will bass be around carp or do the two not "hang out"? Water level is low.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
It is illegal for Bass and Carp to forgather in the State of Colorado.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Yes, you can find bass and carp in the same lake. Carp do root around the bottom alot and can inhibit the bass spawn by damaging areas suitable for spawning.

As to whether or not they like each other, I doubt it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
in cases like that is it our duty as bass fishermen to stop the carp from destroying bass population? and whats the best and most humane way to do that? all my old bass pond are over populated with the skum suckers.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Bullsandfish said:
in cases like that is it our duty as bass fishermen to stop the carp from destroying bass population? and whats the best and most humane way to do that? all my old bass pond are over populated with the skum suckers.
if its happening now, it has been and will continue too. just go to each lake in CO and shake your finger and say "bad carp." :D

and just cause you or anyone else dont like the species doesnt mean it should less important. they are put in there for a reason weather they are liked or not, they have a purpose being there, and that goes for all of natures realm.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If they just weren't so damn ugly. I have a small drainage pond by my house, not sure how they got in there, but my theory is they must just come right out of the slime. ;D

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Grumpie said:
Bullsandfish said:
carp must go. ill do my part
just remember the DOW considers carp a game fish......
According to page 8 of the booklet... The dow considers carp to be a bait fish.

Either way, carp are effing disgusting fish that destroy lakes.. not opinion but fact. Look what they did to jackson and barr.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Saint Vitus said:
Grumpie said:
Bullsandfish said:

Either way, carp are effing disgusting fish that destroy lakes.. not opinion but fact. Look what they did to jackson and barr.
i agree they are nasty but thats what a DOW officer told me one day cause i guy had threw one on the bank in the grass :-\

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Grumpie said:
Saint Vitus said:
Grumpie said:
Bullsandfish said:

i agree they are nasty but thats what a DOW officer told me one day cause i guy had threw one on the bank in the grass :-\
Ahh, Birds and coons got to eat too. ;D

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Grumpie said:
Saint Vitus said:
Grumpie said:
Bullsandfish said:

Sounds like the DOW officer was lying to you or is completely ignorant about his job.

if they were a game fish, they wouldn't allow people to shoot them with a bow and arrow.

Usually carp are "stocked" into lakes by other people who want to fish for them, or they are washed in by canals or rivers. the only time they are usually stocked is when they are hybrid grass carp that can't spawn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts