Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the ******* sitting in the middle of the lake without lights on a pitch black night at midnight.....you are an idiot. You almost ended up with a bass boat through your hull into your bed.....get a clue. And we were only doing 20 mph....

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Doesn't sound like they had the smartest idea. But I also wont go 20mph after dark just for that fact, there's a lot of idiot's out and about and with no brakes (on a boat) all you can do is turn - it maybe too late at that speed.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Doesn't sound like they had the smartest idea. But I also wont go 20mph after dark just for that fact, there's a lot of idiot's out and about and with no brakes (on a boat) all you can do is turn - it maybe too late at that speed.
and from the pic I saw there is other reasons you wont go 20 MPH:D

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Is it legal to be in a no wake zone at night with no lights? Serious question
Every vessel, except hand-propelled vessels when on whitewater,
in all weather from sunset to sunrise shall carry and exhibit the
lights required in this regulation when underway or moored in
other than a designated mooring area. During such times, no
other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights as cannot be
mistaken for the lights specified in these regulations or do not
impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with
the keeping of a proper lookout.

Every vessel less than 20 meters (65' 8") in length must display
one all-round white light when at anchor.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
and, at some lakes if the whoever is watching is watching, "boat lights should be on xxx minutes before sundown"... , as i was told once. i run mine as soon as sun crests mtns.
i always worried about running over a bellyboater on cc, or some dumb drunk on poolow.... splat, well thump i'm sure. def gorpro stuff.. lol

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Saw someone at chatty the other day with no lights on, well after sunset. I could just barely make them out. Also saw someone doing laps around the lake at full speed, well after dark. It's a wonder there aren't more boating accidents....

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's not the first time at the tooth this has happened (Unfortunatly not the last) We were fishing a few weeks ago. A wake board boat decided to come in and start doing circles 60 yards away. They finally shut it down and you could smell them firing one up. We headed over to marina cove and had a Ranger come by and boat check us. I asked him why he isn't over there checking the weed smoking boat. He said there is nothing he can do about it as long as the driver is not smoking. Ok why not swing in there and see if he is smoking or not rather then harassing a couple guys with their trolling motor down in the back of a cove. I guess we are easier to catch.
Me personally...am tired of getting harassed ( yes that's what it is) by RANGERS!

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Was running in last fall to the dock and almost ran over two kids swimming across the lake at night. If I hadn't been looking over the windsield and through it I wouldn't have even seen them. I stopped and explained to them they almost died and how unsafe what they were doing was. I can only imagine one of the bigger boats that had been anchored and drinking all day in party cove heading to the dock would have not even noticed them. I usually take it easy going into the dock in the dark just for these reasons.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
That's not the first time at the tooth this has happened (Unfortunatly not the last) We were fishing a few weeks ago. A wake board boat decided to come in and start doing circles 60 yards away. They finally shut it down and you could smell them firing one up. We headed over to marina cove and had a Ranger come by and boat check us. I asked him why he isn't over there checking the weed smoking boat. He said there is nothing he can do about it as long as the driver is not smoking. Ok why not swing in there and see if he is smoking or not rather then harassing a couple guys with their trolling motor down in the back of a cove. I guess we are easier to catch.
Me personally...am tired of getting harassed ( yes that's what it is) by RANGERS!
You're tired of getting harassed... so you snitch?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
One time I was running towards the "dock light" at darkthirty, well it turns out the light I seen was on the mast of a sailboat. Mother of god, I almost shat myself when I finally noticed it was a boat at 30 yards or so.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Crazy people....must happen more than I thought! Last Saturday night at Horsetooth was very hazy.......then at about 10 ish a light drizzly fog rolled in and really brought down visibility.........on a normal night I would have seen him sooner. WS.......he was in the boat......I could see him moving around after we yelled to turn on his lights......the lights of the stereo he had lit up the inside a bit once we were just past him. Thanks for the advice on the swimmers eyehunter.....I don't usually look for them at night....probably should in a college town hangout. I probably should have been going a bit slower just for the fact that the water is so high it's pulling logs and debris into the lake.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts