Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - got a screamin' deal on a dynaking barracuda demo model yesterday at the Sportsmans Expo. When I got home I realized it didn't have a bobbin hanger. How important is it to have one? I have never tied on full rotary before . . .any suggestions for a book or video I should get to get started?

thanks

TP

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you plan on using it as a rotatry vise, then the bobbin hanger is very important.  If you're not, then I wouldn't worry about it.  From what I hear most people who have rotary vise don't even use for that purpose.

I have a renzetti travler vise and I love it.  For tying things like PT's or peacock bodies they're great.

I'm not sure about any books about using a rotary vise, but I'm sure there has got to be something out there.  Maybe Amazon might have something?

W

·
0 Posts
I have a renzetti traveler too and don't use the bobbin hangar much. Seems like it takes time that you could just use wrapping by hand. The rotary is great to get different views of the fly and for attaching wings which require a different angle. I guess if I used the hangar more I'd probably get used to it. Did you see the guy w/the vise that spins to put dubbing on, etc. I saw it at the fly show, but again I thought it would take more time to tie off and everything to make it worth it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'll look into getting the bobbin hangar. I did some looking around and it seems like wrapping hackle and dubbing bodies will be much easier using the rotary capability.

The vise that spins . . .was it a Nor-Vise? I've heard about it but have never seen one used. I'm not obsessed enough with tying yet to take that step :eek:

TP

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I've got a Nor-vise. It's super sweet for putting a lot of hackle on a fly like a wooly bugger. I'm, still learning, but it's a great little device.

G

·
0 Posts
I got a Nor-Vise at the flyfishing show. Lots of folks looking at them but when I got out my wallet to pay, everyone left like they were embarrassed for me. Anyway, I tie some really ugly flies and with the Nor-Vise, I can tie em a lot faster! The automatic bobbin is the neetest part of the system though- when you get used to holding the thread before you cut it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts