Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious what people on this forum use for sinking lines?. I am looking for a good full sink line for my 6 weight. Mostly for stripping in scuds and leeches in deep mountain lakes, but also a good line for streamers. I have a great setup for streamers on my 8 weight, but my 6 would be better for smaller streamers on some of the creeks I fish.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you are looking for a fast sinking line for a 6 wt take a look at the Jim Teeny T-200 lines. I have a T-400 for my 8 wt that I use when going after pike. I believe he is still in business but you would have to order on line. I don't know if his lines are popular out this direction but he is well known up in the Pacific Northwest. Some controversy about his techniques but his fast sinking lines are quite good.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are looking for a fast sinking line for a 6 wt take a look at the Jim Teeny T-200 lines. I have a T-400 for my 8 wt that I use when going after pike. I believe he is still in business but you would have to order on line. I don't know if his lines are popular out this direction but he is well known up in the Pacific Northwest. Some controversy about his techniques but his fast sinking lines are quite good.
Thanks for the recommendation! Yeah 5.5IPS is perfect. I have a I/S3/S5 flyline on my 8 weight and that seems perfect for streamers. I might look at the TS series rather than the T series. Most of the time it wont matter, but there is one situation that extra 5 feet might make a difference and that is if I am on my float tube fishing for lakers. That is actually a big reason I want to get a full sink fly line. I am doing the Mile High 25 next year and want to try to get a lake trout from my float tube. Or maybe the death boat I am considering buying, haha.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use Cortland FO-Tech type 7 for depth and distance. I also have a Rio Deep 7. Both are shooting head type lines. I find the cortland easier to manage on retrieve and pick up. The MH25 is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use the Rio full sinking line on my 8 wt Clouser Temple Fork rod. A neat alternative to a sinking line on a 5 or 6 wt is the Rio Versi Leader which is a sinking leader that can be quickly attached to a floating line. The come in various sink rates from 1.5 to 7 IPS. I use a 1.5, a 4 and a 7 depending on where I am fishing. They are good for smaller lakes or ponds and streams.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am curious what people on this forum use for sinking lines?. I am looking for a good full sink line for my 6 weight. Mostly for stripping in scuds and leeches in deep mountain lakes, but also a good line for streamers. I have a great setup for streamers on my 8 weight, but my 6 would be better for smaller streamers on some of the creeks I fish.
If you are trolling with motor and using a fly line, I recommend Rio T-17. If you are standing at the bank I’d use 3 sink

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use the Rio full sinking line on my 8 wt Clouser Temple Fork rod. A neat alternative to a sinking line on a 5 or 6 wt is the Rio Versi Leader which is a sinking leader that can be quickly attached to a floating line. The come in various sink rates from 1.5 to 7 IPS. I use a 1.5, a 4 and a 7 depending on where I am fishing. They are good for smaller lakes or ponds and streams.
Thanks, I actually was given a versi leader by a friend to try. I will see how I like it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts