Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Met Batman at 3:30 AM to head on down to Pueblo. Always great fishing with Jeff. Zman as well as another friend had suggested entering Tightline Outfitters Walleye Insanity Tournament. We figured what the heck and signed up. Nate puts on a great tournament. It's run really well and I'm sure everyone had a great time.

After a minor motor malfunction, we headed out. It was 37 degrees on the lake. No wind and by noon, it was getting hot. I was slightly overdressed to say the least. Man, most of those guys have some pretty impressive rigs ..I'm sure sixty thousand and up. Most of the boats had three sonar units similar to zman's. I'm sure they get all the cable channels, with surround sound, and I'm pretty sure some of them were wearing 3D glasses..

Well, we ended up taking second place. Not bad I guess for my first tournament. Jeff's won a couple of Pike tournaments before at the mile. It sure was nice getting paid to fish. I kind of figure that's what heaven's like. Well, with the weather, only fifteen boats entered and so they only paid out two places. Glad we were one of them.

Once again, gotta give Nate credit for a well run tournament.

2nd to last boat out after a great rendition of the National Anthem.

And we each got a check and four fifty dollar Bass Pro Shops Gift Cards.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Congrats!! well deserved! Must be nice to get paid to play on your playground.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Awh sweet man!!

Congrats on placing!!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Damn awesome Dave and Jeff!
Well done
Crazy the lack of entry's.... $200 entry fee scare people away?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn awesome Dave and Jeff!
Well done
Crazy the lack of entry's.... $200 entry fee scare people away?
Thanks. It was $175, but we were told that 15 to 20 boats canceled because of the weather. We didn't think about fishing it until Thursday and signed up at the deadline...You leave the staging area in the order you sign up. So, I guess we were second to last to enter.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny thing. They were also having a bass tournament at the same time. I ended up catching five smallies between 15 and 18 and a half inches and Jeff picked up another 16 incher. We should have entered both. I think we would have won that one.

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
Right on, congrats Dave and Jeff!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Great work you two!...not surprised one bit...two of the better sticks in the state...the real question how'd you screw up first place?...lol...my aging eyes need the big screen...and I got tired of spending so much time on boat control...now i just point at the map once I get close and the trolling motor goes there...what was your bag weight and what was the winning one?...will call ya later for all the gory details...this is way kewl...this makes my sunday...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Kinda a "funny" story. We were fishing up lake a bit and on a flat that's only 120 feet long and the fish zone was maybe 30 feet wide. We were casting in that 30 foot wide zone parallel to the shoreline. We'd caught several just unders and had just hooked and released doubles when the winning team saw us releasing the fish as they were cruising back down the lake. They did a quick turn and blasted in at 30 mph, crossing both our lines as they shut down 25 feet west of us and stopped, effectively cutting off our ability to keep casting to the zone. We made a few subtle comments like hey we're fishing here. You just ran over our lines. They never even looked our way, never made eye contact. Just ignored us, dropped live bait and started fishing. Well, we tried casting about ten feet off each side of their boat. They just drifted closer. We decided it wasn't worth the aggravation and left. At the weigh in, Nate mentioned that they'd been pre-fishing the past two days and had figured out a pattern. The edge of a flat near deep water. Uh huh...OK. They spent the rest of the day there pulling their limit. Oh well, as Jeff said. I'd rather take second fishing as we did than first fishing as they did. It's all good though. I had a great time and next time...I'll just be a bit more vocal.

Unlike Tuesday, it was a challenge finding good fish. We ran up to a couple of our big fish locations and they weren't there. That killed some time. Would have been nice to have pre fished the day before. We wouldn't have wasted that time. But, we had to check it out. No big fish were caught. Jeff's 19 and a half incher may have been the largest. We caught 120 to 140 walleyes and still only managed three keepers and they all came in ten minutes. Two on back to back casts and one five minutes later. Sure didn't think that bag would hold up. But, good enough for second.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Thats pretty low life...hope whatever they use the money for is a lemon...

Saw you tried to call...phone was upstairs...got home after midnight with Tony...and passed out downstairs in the recliner trying to watch the hockey game...will call you back in a bit...

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Kinda a "funny" story. We were fishing up lake a bit and on a flat that's only 120 feet long and the fish zone was maybe 30 feet wide. We were casting in that 30 foot wide zone parallel to the shoreline. We'd caught several just unders and had just hooked and released doubles when the winning team saw us releasing the fish as they were cruising back down the lake. They did a quick turn and blasted in at 30 mph, crossing both our lines as they shut down 25 feet west of us and stopped, effectively cutting off our ability to keep casting to the zone. We made a few subtle comments like hey we're fishing here. You just ran over our lines. They never even looked our way, never made eye contact. Just ignored us, dropped live bait and started fishing. Well, we tried casting about ten feet off each side of their boat. They just drifted closer. We decided it wasn't worth the aggravation and left. At the weigh in, Nate mentioned that they'd been pre-fishing the past two days and had figured out a pattern. The edge of a flat near deep water. Uh huh...OK. They spent the rest of the day there pulling their limit. Oh well, as Jeff said. I'd rather take second fishing as we did than first fishing as they did. It's all good though. I had a great time and next time...I'll just be a bit more vocal.

Unlike Tuesday, it was a challenge finding good fish. We ran up to a couple of our big fish locations and they weren't there. That killed some time. Would have been nice to have pre fished the day before. We wouldn't have wasted that time. But, we had to check it out. No big fish were caught. Jeff's 19 and a half incher may have been the largest. We caught 120 to 140 walleyes and still only managed three keepers and they all came in ten minutes. Two on back to back casts and one five minutes later. Sure didn't think that bag would hold up. But, good enough for second.
That happened to Me and My Buddy on Tues. Found a windy hump and started nailing some "nicer" Eyes... We were there about 20 mins, when My Bud nails a 10 Lb Wiper as 2 IDIOTS moved in to watch...The wind took Us off the hump as We fought the fish. After We landed and released the Wiper.. We moved slowly back to the spot and started casting again for Eyes. Of course, these two MORONS began pulling "bouncers" right through the area with a 40Hp motor....obviously, the bite stopped...
No Eye contact, no words, no nothing.... At least They coulda said "hi".... :-[

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, common courtesy is pretty much dead. I take that back. The few that act that way just makes it seem so.

Congrats on the ten pound wiper. That's a good wiper and much harder to find than they used to be in Pueblo.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
congrats on the win, yeah you won ! Sad when somebody does that crap, kind of the reason I hardly lake trout fish anymore, all to common place. Well done !

1 - 20 of 42 Posts