Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to go walleye fishing again, but when I got down there, it was pretty windy. Changed up, went top water and drove to a more sheltered spot to launch. It ended up being a better plan. Caught 33 wipers in 4 to eight feet of water. Water temp 58 degrees. Nothing huge, it seemed to be 3 different year classes ranging from 2.5 lbs to six. A lot of fun hearing the drag and feeling the pull. Having one for dinner tonight and the rest are still swimming. Nice to see them coming back.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
There are three distinct year classes from the 2014,15 and last year. They put in 1.5 million fry during those three years. Of course only 1 % of fry survive to adulthood. There are only 400,000 fry going in this year. Hopefully we can get people to release them in the future?

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
Very nice Hobie! Way to go!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Even with the Wiper summit last year and dialogue with the CPW this year we can't get them to drop the ridiculous 20 fish limit in the Arkansas drainage. They basically told us most fisherman are to stupid to tell the difference between a wiper and a white bass:eek: Even if there are no white bass in Pueblo.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are three distinct year classes from the 2014,15 and last year. They put in 1.5 million fry during those three years. Of course only 1 % of fry survive to adulthood. There are only 400,000 fry going in this year. Hopefully we can get people to release them in the future?
Haha, Yeah I wasn't going to keep any until my wife called as I was finishing up and asked how the fishing was. When I told her, she said you better bring one home for dinner tonight. 37 years of a happy marriage has taught me to always listen to my wife. Kept the last one I caught.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
Are we getting any up here metrowise this year Neal?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Haha, Yeah I wasn't going to keep any until my wife called as I was finishing up and asked how the fishing was. When I told her, she said you better bring one home for dinner tonight. 37 years of a happy marriage has taught me to always listen to my wife. Kept the last one I caught.
I wasn't calling you out in any way!!!! Just hope as the wiper fishing gets better people will be smart and release most of them.

Tony we are going to do the Wiper summit at my wiper seminar at BPS on May 27th and I will provide all of 2017 stocking info to everyone who attends.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I know Neal. I'd personally like to see a two fish limit statewide.
I have been asking my customers to release them and so far people have been cool with it. Walleye fishing has been so good no cares about eating wiper any way. There is no way I will clean a wiper for anyone who does keep it, lol.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll tell ya though, this is shaping up to be a great year for fishing in Colorado. With high water levels going on four years running, the fishing is just getting better and better. It's been a great season already and the two best warm water fishing months of the year haven't even arrived. Just hope we keep getting water.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yeah, I like eating some fish. Walleye, catfish, crappie and a large trout now and then are all better eating than wiper. Get all the red off the fillets and they're not bad. But so many better eating fish. And, wipers are sterile. We have a limited supply with too great a demand...Plus they can grow huge in Colorado. Their speed is the closest you'll get to salt in Colorado. So, I've been told. Saltwater virgin here. Really, they're just too fun to kill...unless of course you like to continue to be able to go fishing... and you're under orders from the wife.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Really, they're just too fun to kill...unless of course you like to continue to be able to go fishing... and you're under orders from the wife.
There is a smart man.... I, too, cave to those same pressures and bring the occasional few home for the ability to fish whenever I want. My preference for eating fish is mainly Catfish once or twice a year which she prepares with spaghetti and garlic bread. But, for her most warmwater species and the occasional trout from real clean water suffice. Speaking of which; I may have some early days this week due to the weather. I plan on utilizing them to the fullest and P-Lo will be on my revisit list for sure.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wicked fish. How deep? I want to hit those guys with a fly rod. Really clean looking fish!
You can get them on the fly rod. First shad of the year have hatched out and that's what they're feeding on in 4 to 8 foot of water. Shad were sprinkling the water like reverse rain drops and the wiper were gorging.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Great report. It's funny how different tastes are... Wiper are my favorite freshwater fish to eat! That said, I have struggled to keep any the last couple years because the numbers are so low. My wife/mom just love wiper and they pressure me! I blame them for the 3-4 I keep each year.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts