21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
Dont hafta worry about me keeping 20 wipers! Those things SUCK as table fare-

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I use to feel the same way about stripers back in NC. They don't taste bad they just are bland? If you don't cut the red meat out they taste like **** also. I would actually rather eat white bass.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
nice report. Thing i have always wondered though especially with the survival rate of fry, other than the financial burden, why doesn't CPW just raise the fry until they are about 4-8 inches then stock them in? Im sure the survival rate would be much higher.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
nice report. Thing i have always wondered though especially with the survival rate of fry, other than the financial burden, why doesn't CPW just raise the fry until they are about 4-8 inches then stock them in? Im sure the survival rate would be much higher.
The biologists for the northern plains lakes are much more aggressive and have been planting both fry and fingerlings. All the I 76 lakes will be a lot better wiper fishing in the next few years if they can keep water in them?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If I remember right, there used to be a wiper rearing facility just southeast of Cheraw. I stopped in there once on a search and discover fishing trip and was told it was just too expensive to rear wiper. Not too sure if anything's changed since then. That was more than twenty years ago.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
we have released all wipers this year so far, I might keep a 4 pounder once this year. I wish the CPW would put a 2 wiper limit on pueblo only, but if wises were dollars I would still be broke. the biggest we got Sunday was about 2 pounds, it did make the drag sing on a short run. we did get a couple of eyes but they were short

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Good to see more wiper showing up in p low
Well done hobie! You're on a roll

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Tony we are going to do the Wiper summit at my wiper seminar at BPS on May 27th and I will provide all of 2017 stocking info to everyone who attends.
Neal, That's interesting that they are doing the Wiper summit at your seminar. Sounds like they are taking your input seriously. Good job buddy! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I would HIGHLY recommend anyone that has any interest in Wipers attend this. When I went to the Wiper summit last year I was AMAZED on how delicate the Wiper stocking process is.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Neal, That's interesting that they are doing the Wiper summit at your seminar. Sounds like they are taking your input seriously. Good job buddy! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I would HIGHLY recommend anyone that has any interest in Wipers attend this. When I went to the Wiper summit last year I was AMAZED on how delicate the Wiper stocking process is.
Wiper addicts is doing it without the CPW attending this time, but they have already provided us all the 2017 stocking figures for every lake. Hopefully we will do another Summit at their headquarters in 2018? This year it will be an informal relaxed seminar more fishing based.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Nice report Hobie!!

Thanks for sharing

You can get them on the fly rod. First shad of the year have hatched out and that's what they're feeding on in 4 to 8 foot of water. Shad were sprinkling the water like reverse rain drops and the wiper were gorging.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I have been asking my customers to release them and so far people have been cool with it. Walleye fishing has been so good no cares about eating wiper any way. There is no way I will clean a wiper for anyone who does keep it, lol.
tbh its kinda whack you'd allow them to keep them, let them eat the walleye. Plenty of successful catch and release guides, maybe not in CO but still. Wiper wouldn't be going anywhere near my livewell if that was my boat.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
tbh its kinda whack you'd allow them to keep them, let them eat the walleye. Plenty of successful catch and release guides, maybe not in CO but still. Wiper wouldn't be going anywhere near my livewell if that was my boat.
Well then... go get your guide biz going and do just that.
This is his gig, it is within the regs and none of your biz... so...
STFU bobys... lol

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Well then... go get your guide biz going and do just that.
This is his gig, it is within the regs and none of your biz... so...
STFU bobys... lol
X2 Im guessing Neal is doing much more than Bobys to help bring back Wipers in the state.

Welcome back Hobie:thumb: You have been missed.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Jackson used to be my favorite wiper lake in the 90's. Grew some really nice wipers in the ten to fourteen pound range. I haven't fished it in several years, but from what I understand the walleyes have come on strong in there...still not enough wipers.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts