Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well went out this morning at
5am - ugg not good at getting up on a Saturday that early!
But Brian, I and two of the boys were at the water by 6am with hooks in.
Fishing with nightcrawlers, and about 7am my 17 yr got a big hit, remember he's only been fishing for a few weeks (and caught a couple small walleyes, a couple small cats and 1 small bass) he starts to bring it in and it was A HUGE 24" brown trout! It was beautiful. (Wishing I had my digital camera :-\ but loaned it to a friend for their vacation) about ten mins later, my rod started bending and I reeled in a 19 inch rainbow! Then not 10mins later Brian got a 20" brown, then Patrick our other son, an 18". Then it started to slow down & get hot! David caught one more 18" about 10am then we headed home.
Think we are going back tonight and we did find leeches! So will try those too.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Great Job Night_Shadows! Sounds like a great day. But one question. Where were you fishing?

Dan

·
Registered
117 Posts
you cant tell us about a great trip and not deliver tthe name ???lol oh well at least your boys got to catch some fish with some size to them reminds me of the Deschutes river in bend. OR good job ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, okay, actually was the spillway behind Chatfield, and before we have fished off the walkways and the edge, this time we went right above where the water comes out (next to the door, I am guessing water control room?) Most people go on the walkways, and fish off the bank, no one was up there on the platform!

It seems a little high to fish off of, but we figured it out, just drop your line in with 1-2 1oz sinkers, and we got those rigs that have a little metel twisted pieces coming off in two places then two hooks. Just used nightcrawlers, dropped the line in let it sink fast, then tighten the line. Most bites were from 7am to 9am. Then when we hooked the fish, we walked it down the walkway around the side and to the beach area on the right side, then got them out, none came unhooked during this, but if you pulled it up that high you'd either unhook the fish, or break your pole. And peopel are nice enough to let you get by them when you have a fish, and they moved.

We talked to a guy who helps stock the lake and he told me when the sun gets up high like noon, the lrg cats come right up to where the water is running out, and feed and hang out on the right hand side of where we were fishing and they got an 8lb one out of there the day before. Haven't got one of those yet, it got too hot, maybe next time.

If you watch the sides near there and the white water right after where it leaves the big drain, you can see the fish kind of churning with the currents, and most the time see exactly what kind they are and how big. It's pretty cool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts