Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres just A funny story that happened to me.
Last year a buddy and I were at red feather lakes ice fishing and if you have ever been up there you know that the wind can get pretty bad. Kind of reminds me of little(BIG)Mac. But anyways we got there at sun up started to get unloaded take our shanty out on the ice to set up, then the wind started we didnt bring our rope or spikes for our shanty so we kept saying to ourselfs should we set it up our not. After a few hours of not being in the hut it started to get really cold with that wind so we said screw it fishing has been really good all day if we get our cooler, gas auger, shovel our everything and set our butts down we should be ok right ??? ??? WRONG there was no snow on the ice so you can really see where the wind was blowing so hard that it made waves in the ice. So A few mins pass and then one really nice big gust of wind came and there went our lines were trollin on the ice. It really felt like we went 100yds butt we only went about 30ft. I can still see my buddys face beer spilt all over, lines broke and both of trying everything to get that damn thing to stop.
So I think the moral of this story is if you have cleats wear them and dont forget your rope and spikes. ;D ;D

·
Registered
943 Posts
yeah i had one of those plastic ice scoops up there and missed the bucket with it. by the time i realised it it was on its way across the lake. it made it all the way to the other shore.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i kinda did that myself, i had taken my mom out on deweese and it was windy and we hid in the hut catching fish, i wanted to go drill a hole about 100-150' away and set a rod to see if we could find a better spot as i was walking into the wind i thought i heard something but just chalked it up to the wind but when i stoped to start drilling i looked back and saw the hut with my mom in it working its way across the lake i droped everything and tried to run over and promptly fell on my [email protected]@ at a full run when i finaly got to the hut it was all i could do to hold it in place for quite awhile till the wind died down a bit and i could get inside we laughed and waited out the wind and in a lull packed it in for the day i still get a chuckle out of it when i think about it

·
Registered
179 Posts
if you've ever ice fished Gross reservoir you will know what imean about a VERY windy place. when my son was around 10 or 11 we were out there sitting on folding chairs and a huge gust came along and lifted him up,chair and all and threw him about 5 ft. we were out of there after that. never went back either. just too windy and the ice can be iffy up there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts