Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used a furled leader a few times and it worked ok. Had its plus and minus'....anybody have any thoughts about furled leaders..when to use it when not to?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Ive never fished a furled leader, infact i dont know anyone that has to tell you the truth...you dont see them too often anymore it seems. most guys fish the standard tapered mono leaders now days. from what ive read though furled leaders turn over well...but its just what ive read and i have no experience with them. to me tapered mono is hard to beat, it turns over ok if you match the right leader/tippet combo, it doesnt have a lot of knots in it like the older type knotted leader (which picked up alot of weeds), and they are relatively cheap. do you prefere furled Wind Knot? if so, tell us why...im curious....

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Furled/braided leaders work very very well for nymphing- they are very economical in that you simply tie on a bunch of tippet at the end of it and you NEVER cut into your leader so the over all cost of it is very low. Most guys that Ive seen using it, have a braided leader and they buy huge spools of
Berkley (or the like) 3,4,5,6x line. (rather than the smaller spools of tippett from a fly shop)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts