Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....and still tons of slimers!

I finally got the boss back fishing again recently and we decided to head down to Trinidad today to see if we could still catch cats like we did years ago. I was fun to see her excited about fishing again and even though the catfishing was non-existent today she had a blast catching slimers on slip-bobbers and worms. Meanwhile I chucked soft plastics with very little result other than slimers and a small smallie.

Final tally- Angie 10, Ninja 4. Sure glad Slayer wasn't around to rub that in.

Just seeing her light up and giggle like a young school girl every time she had a bite brought back great memories of when we used to fish together every weekend. Hope it's a start of more fishing "dates".

BTW- Trinidad is still a very clean and super quite place to get away from the nonsense of the urban lakes. Hope it never changes.

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Sounds like a great trip bud! THX for sharing!!!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Good work you two! Even the Stones approve!

Angie, Angie
When those channel cats all disappear
Angie, Angie
Where will it lead us from here
With no cut bait bites on our poles
But we had rainbow powerbait with sparkles in our totes
You can say we're MRT satisfied
Angie, Angie

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Well done, Chris! I too like to see my lady friend have some fun fishing! Although she prefers to just troll and drink beer lol.

Sounds like you guys had some fun! good stuff.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas.

She told me last night it was a great day and that she wanted to go again this coming Friday or Saturday somewhere else. But, while she enjoyed out fishing me; she would prefer more of a challenge then stocker trout. LMAO- kinda reminded me of when we use to go every weekend and she wanted to catch bigger and bigger fish each time.

I had to "kiddingly" remind her that's why I wanted to buy a boat a few years ago instead of getting a one person kayak because shore fishing isn't always the best way to chase what species you want to fish for certain times of the year and while I can go wherever I need to go to find fish; "we" were limited to where everyone else goes to fish that doesn't have a boat. Surprisingly she just laughed and said "Let's find a way to purchase a boat in the next few years so I can go along".

Things that make you go-HMMMMMMM!

For now I have to find somewhere to go next weekend that has opportunities for larger fish from shore or rents boats, isn't a jetski/waterski zoo, and doesn't have a butzillion people. SMFH- sounds like picking the winning Powerball numbers.

Suggestions???

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Cool stuff, man... If you start shopping for a boat, let me know... I have some tips. Lots of friends have gone through it in the past year or two and I've learned a lot having seen the different routes people have gone.

11 mile should be pretty good fishing and your buddy would definitely get you on fish! lol.. If I get some time, I'd be happy to take you and the wife out for a boat ride. September is a great month to be on the water in CO!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Cool, It's funny how time changes things and then they come back around. My wife and I used to camp and fish a bunch! Now we don't seem to get out much. Hopefully that will change.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Good work you two! Even the Stones approve!

Angie, Angie
When those channel cats all disappear
Angie, Angie
Where will it lead us from here
With no cut bait bites on our poles
But we had rainbow powerbait with sparkles in our totes
You can say we're MRT satisfied
Angie, Angie
Well, I think Weird Al's job is safe!:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Yep that was sad...not even close to Kodiak's ice fishing ballad...lol...hope he is doing well in Hawaii...

Slimer Queen also known as Andy's Song

You can deadstick, you can jig, having the time of your life
See that “bow”, watch that screen, jiggin' the slimer queen

Wednesday afternoon and the Ice Machine’s arches are fat
Out on the ice looking for rainbows to bugle at
Where you drop the right bait, nitro grease coated with maximum clout
You come in to look for stocker trout
Any fish could be that salmo
The afternoon is young and the minnows are a go
With a wad of powerbait, everything is fine
You're in the mood for a brown
After you rig up and drop the power nuggets down...

You are the slimer queen, hairy and cavemanish, and not the goon
Slimer queen, feel the beat from the slabbin spoon

You're a spooner, you turn 'em on
Leave them burning and then you're gone
Looking out for another, any stocker will do
You're in the mood for a cutt
Somehow you manage to pull a limit out of your butt

You are the slimer queen, hairy and cavemanish, and not the goon
Slimer queen, feel the beat from the slabbin spoon

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Nice Chris. It sounds like you guys had fun. Did you try Chicken Livers? In my experience... when the water gets warm...chicken livers or stink bait out fishes cut bait for channel cats.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you try Chicken Livers?

Had fresh livers on the whole six hours we fished. Some with no weight, some suspended via slip bobbers and some on the bottom. Shallow, deep, sandy bottoms, rocky points, NADA!!!!

Didn't get to fish very late. But, usually I catch catfish all throughout the day and night there. Kinda bummed. But, fall bite is bound to be good.

Then again the water level was waaaaaaay higher than I've ever fished it.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I get some time, I'd be happy to take you and the wife out for a boat ride. September is a great month to be on the water in CO!
I know how busy you are bro. I appreciate the offer for sure.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To those who have PM'd and called: Muchas Gracias. You guys are super kind and we both appreciate the offers very much. It's nice to have such kind hearted friends.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Niiiiice....soon you'll get her used to fishing a bit and you can incorporate some of your other more fun activities into your time at the lake too :D

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Niiiiice....soon you'll get her used to fishing a bit and you can incorporate some of your other more fun activities into your time at the lake too :D
Two Guys and a Vex and a Woman?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts