Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As time goes by and my creative thought process dwindles, i am forced to ask you readers if there are any articles (in regards to flyfishing mostly, but this request is open to other types of fishing subjects) that you might like to see in future issues of ColoradoFisherman magazine? We try not to write about the same old stuff you constantly see in other magazines, but it can be difficult to come up with new material. if you have any ideas feel free to PM me, as im open to suggestions and would like to know what you readers would like to read about...

so there you go...hit me with some ideas, im all ears...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought my first fly rod this past fall. Personally, I'd love to read more about techniques used for the novice flyfisherman. What is the best cast? The best way to tie fly to line?to have strike indicator or not? and why? where does a newbie go for more info (besides here lol) or to take a class? There are some great mags out there, and I can buy a book, but I want to read about what the guys out here are doing. I dunno, this is just stuff Ive asked my buddy since I bought my rod.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
How far ahead of the publication date are you working?

I ask, because often the articles you want to write depends on just what part of the fishing season in which the articles will appear.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im working on the feb/mar issue, but will take ideas for any subjects you wish...im trying to get ahead a few months....

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree on a section for the novice fly fisherman. Somebody like me who has never been but would like to go.

Also, some kind of buyers guide for different equipment, what it looks like, what it's called, what does it do, etc. etc.

Also, maybe something along the lines of Flies 101. What the heck is a wooly bugger and royal fluffy. I guess the most popular flies used around Colorado, what they imitate, and that kind of stuff.

What's a nymph, what does it do, and why do they work?

I have a couple of other ideas that would work also besides fly fishing.

Moon Cycles and it's effects on fish.

Barometric pressure, does it effect fish?

·
Registered
935 Posts
I think the novice article would be good for a spring edition, when people are starting to think about getting out and trying new things for the summer.

An article that would be really cool would be one on subsurface/deep fishing with fly gear.  It goes beyond nymphing in rivers, but might include a section on moving water and lakes.  It's amazing how many people think you must be fishing the surface if you are using fly gear.  I have used a fast-sinking line, sink-tip line, floating lines, and bullet-head marabou streamers to catch lake trout in the spring, fishing up to 25-30 feet deep from canoe of float tube.  A shore angler watched me catch a fish with interested at Chambers lake one year, and expressed surprise that I could catch the lake trout "on the surface" like that.  Fly fishing isn't just streams and tailwaters, anymore.  If you want to avoid the crowds, you really need to extend your toolset.

A basic beginners article on flies would also be good, including the basic types (dry, wet, nymph, streamers, poppers - and you might throw in some of the odd types, like those with lips tied on so they wobble like crankbaits).  It would be nice to see articles about fishing unorthodox/nontraditional flies. 

Here's a list of other thoughts:
  • Another thought I have is a general article on fly fishing lakes.
  • Perhaps an article with top-level description of good fly tactics for various quarry in Colorado.
  • An article on float tubing for trout, perhaps (floating or sinking lines, trolling streamers, casting dries or nymphs, or dry with nymph dropper, imparting slight action to nymphs to immitate swiming, etc..).
  • Maybe another on wading the flats for wipers (casting and stripping deceievers or clouser minnows, or large saltwater poppers on the surface).
  • Even better, and perhaps more interesting given our carp populations would be sightfishing for carp (gentle twitches of a weighted nymph dropped almost on top of feeding carp in the shallows and flats) - perhaps you can get in touch with Barry Reynalds to interview for this - might like the opportunity to mention his book, which is a fun weekend read for the would-be Colorado bonefish angler.
  • Perhaps float tubing for panfish, or plying the shore from float tube
  • Perhaps flyfishing poppers for panfish for a mid-summer article
  • Maybe one on plying the shores with a float tube form a float tube or boat, for prespawn bass chasing minnows in shallow ponds/small lakes
  • Oh, and one on fishing large streamers for pike - I've consistently seen fly anglers underestimate the size of streamer they need for nice pike

·
Registered
410 Posts
How about a listing with pictures of the most commonly used flys by water by time of year. On the South Fork in March try abc fly. On the Roaring Fork try x fly in April and May. That is one of my biggest headaches is trying to select a couple of flys to work with. I don't fly fish enough to keep track of what I have and when I used it on what body of water.

This may be something to have as an ongoing page. Suggested Flys of the month. You could even make it a center fold we could pull out and hang up. OOPs that was that other mag I was thinking about.

JT

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think that novice advice is a great idea, it would be cool to include handling ettiquette- how to quickly land a fish, how to handle the fish out of water, how to remove the barbs from the hook, cleaning waders between different sites. These are all practices of weathered flyfisherman, but maybe not known to those who are just starting- flyfishing ethics 101

·
Registered
15 Posts
How about the fish? Maybe a different fish each month and the information on thier habits and habitat during the different periods of the year. Where to look for them and the methods used during these different periods. Including where in streams, rivers, ponds and lakes as needed.
Wow, that is a whole book all on its own!

·
Registered
943 Posts
how about some articles on warm water flyfishing techniques and flies? i am going to try fly fishing for bass this year

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i see lots of good ideas...keep em coming. some of them ive already started (wipers have been covered, and im starting a "pike on the fly" one for this june...but thats been hit quite a few times in the past few years in other magazines and i dont want to overdo it) a gear selection one was covered in a 3 part article just recently, but i suppose we could hit some gear reviews...

so far heres a tentive list, based of of your ideas---

The idea of basic fly tying is a hard subject to cover in just one magazine article. a book is more apt to cover it properly---so im going to stay away from that one. however, instruction on tying more specific patterns wouldnt be hard. its almost worth its own designated section each month. ("Tie of the month" or something like that) readers could even contribute thier own favorites and instruction.

"Proper" fishing ettiquitte. (i know alot of people that need to read that one...)

Tying and fishing scuds (seems to be lots of questions on scuds on this forum)

Basic fly selection for colorado...i have that one done already, its hasnt been published yet.

Stillwater tactics on high plains lakes

high country fishing...which has been touched before.

Bass on the fly...

Float tubing...tactics, techniques, safety, ect ect.

the effects or weather, moon, and barametric pressure would be a good one...but someone else better tackle that, i cant figure it out. everything ive read never is consistant with how my experiences have been...and i just dont want to go and write about something that ive only read about and never was able to figure out consistantly.

Panfish tactics...crappie and bluegills

ahem...my least favorite, but i know some of you like it...Carp on the fly. ive done it, and can write about it i suppose....

other ideas include writing about specific bodies of water and some high mountain lakes and streams.

so far you guys are coming up with some good ones...keep thinking about subjects you havnt seen before...or ones you want to know about that might be covered in one or two articles...

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Not everyone gets out and fly fishes in the wintertime, but those long winter evenings are a good time to get the tackle ready for spring. Some ideas on maintaining and organizing rods, reels, flies, lures, etc are always good. Also how best to take care of those items that are likely to rot and fall apart if just thrown in the corner: waders, float tubes, rain gear, etc.

How about an article on how to do spey casting? Hee hee! That ought to drive Ken nuts snagging everyone in sight!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Listen to all of us spin fisherman looking for fly info! I just started fly fishing also and would really like some novice fly material, and I think that the pictures of the flies described would be awesome.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
aah, yes...two more good ideas.

perhaps one explaining basic fly differences, and then breaking it down even further with descriptions of commonly seen words like dun, spinner, emerger, ect ect. it gets confusing i guess if you dont fly fish too much and you see those descriptions thrown out there. lots of pics would go with that article.

Walking E's idea is also a good one...thats something i havnt seen to much in the past, an in depth article addressing how to properly take care of and store gear. thats very important, as fishing gear isnt cheap these days...i might actually work on that one pretty soon.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I got the last issue of the Colorado Fisherman, I was very excited.  With the cover they had, I figured there would be a lot of information on ice fishing.  After going through from cover to cover, I was very upset.  Here we are in the start of winter and a few lousy ice fishing pages!  I finally went to BPS for 2 days to hear someone finally teach on ice fishing.  You want ideas?   Look at the forum and READ IT, and then give the people what they are asking for.  You've got enough ideas for the next two or more years!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts