Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Im not quite sure how to interpet your post...because I actually do spend alot of time on this forum, and do read it, and i do my best to respond when someone needs information that i might be able to help them with. that is why i started this thread--- to help figure out what people want to be reading so it can be written for the magazine.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
How about "Small fish tactics"? Y'know, tips on how to catch that 3 inch bass. I bet you can all think of a certain person who is best qualified to write a great article about that :D. Actually, given my luck this past summer, maybe I should write that one!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
RON said:
When I got the last issue of the Colorado Fisherman, I was very excited.  With the cover they had, I figured there would be a lot of information on ice fishing.  After going through from cover to cover, I was very upset.  Here we are in the start of winter and a few lousy ice fishing pages!  I finally went to BPS for 2 days to hear someone finally teach on ice fishing.  You want ideas?   Look at the forum and READ IT, and then give the people what they are asking for.  You've got enough ideas for the next two or more years!
Ron I think we all want more content in the magazine, you have to remember it has only been out for 5 months goin on 6. There is more to winter fishing in Colorado then just ice fishing, you have tailwater fly and spin casters, you have open water down in the trinadad and John Martin areas. The Magazine is trying to cater to all of these angles and more.
Is there something you want to read about specifically? Ice fishing for panfish? Ice fishing Front Range Lakes? Lake trout Ice fishing? Ice fishing Basic Equipment? I'm sure more then just Rottal can use this post to find information to write about.

·
Registered
90 Posts
How about an article on preservation? I wouldn't mind reading about the importance of preserving our fisheries and tips on how to contribute to keeping our natural resources intact. You could throw in the importance of certain DOW regulations and how people can participate in DOW round table discussions and other things. I'm sure other folks could chime in with other great ideas, too.

I don't want to sound like a tree hugger, but I can't think of a better place to promote conservation. I want my kids to enjoy the same pristine settings and fishing that I enjoy.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am a big still water guy. How about fishing different types of water quality. What fly to use and how to use them in clear water, off color water and dirty water. What and where to fish in the wind. How and when to fish the thermolclines(sp). When are the spawn times and temps for all fish and how to fish them. The importance of catch and release to some fisheries. Just a few thoughts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I understand the youth of the magazine, but don't put a great cover out like that and then put small amount of info to your reader.  That's like a Ferrari with a vw motor.  I opened it up, expecting a lot of good articles, but it didn't happen.  In your reply, you mentioned 4 great articles.  Now all you have to do is put them in print.  At the rate your'e going, it should be ready for the July edition.

·
Registered
935 Posts
What would the qualities of a "great" article be?  One with lots of technical how-to for a given species/situation?  More general stuff that is lighter on the how-to, and instead focusses on the where-go, or something with lots of both?  Something chock full of information but with little narrative storytelling, or something that conveys info through anecdotes (storeis)?  Just curious what people think/want.

A little market research. - maybe this should be a poll.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
i think the articles that i like are the ones that show me
more just dont tell me hook j5867 is a better hook then r4566 show me a pic so i can see why its a better hook its like with flys i dont know all their names
so show me a pic so i can see what it looks like

my 2 cents

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Maybe in the basic fly selection for Colorado, you could include a season/month chart. the whole match the hatch thing can be complicated and costly to some one just getting into flys. I know this past season I could always catch w/ pheasant tails and elk hair caddies all through late July and August. A simple chart (as a guide line) showing maybe 3 flies to try a month or season would be nice. This could give beginers confidence in the flies they're trying and keep them from having to buy 20+ flies. i usually fish lakes so maybe this isn't possable for streams/rivers?

Also, as our readers are spread out, maybe do something on Lake/reservoir campgrounds. Maybe do one (report on lake and campground) a area, each issue. Or better yet do one for each area every issue. I'm sure alot of us camp. That way an article on a lake 4 hours away could still interest everyone.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I would like a spin-fishing article on how to catch pike, preferably during the primetime (spring). As many have figured out, I love pike and love talking about them. I think it would be cool if I could read how another angler fishes for pike besides me that has success. I could get some new ideas on lures/tactics. There are nearly infinite ways to fish for northerns as all methods (bait, lure, fly, trolling) work well. It is often hard to find an article geared toward colorado pike. Our pike in particular seem to act much different than the description infisherman always gives of them being these fish that hit anything at any time, and particularly like to chase "ciscoes, aliwives, and smelt!". They aren't the same everywhere after all, and are especially different here since we don't have those species.

Sorry it ain't a fly article, just thought it might be interesting!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
jamiehughes said:
how about some ice articles since most of us will still be ice fishing by then.  not everyone fly fishes..
since the magazine is new, we are still trying to figure out what subjects need to be layed on more heavily for certain times of the year.  i personally had no idea there was so much interest in icefishing----but its something well take note of and mention to Ken for next year so we can try to get more material.  the flyfishing subjects are limited, as its not primarily a flyfishing magazine...but i just wanted to get a feel for what alot of you readers wanted to see.  i generally have only written fly fishing oriented stuff, and wanted to get some ideas for more material...but all of these suggestions are good.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
How about special technique suggestions for drop-shotting with a Snoopy rod?

:D

Or trolling from a Jet-Ski?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
come on walking eagle!! you are giving all my secrets away for when we bang em at cherry creek, i have a pro graphite edition snoopy pole.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hahaha. You think you are so cool with that snoopy pole. Well, let me tell you something big shot. It's got nothing on my daughters Mike Iaconelli Signature Barbie Pole.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
My $.02:

I'd like to see some articles on specific bodies of water. For example, Blue Mesa Reservoir. Where are the hot spots and good techniques for various species? Does it have adequate boat access? How deep is the lake? Where are the campgrounds nearby, how are they equipped and how far in advance should you make a reservation? Are there B&Bs or good hotels/motels nearby or on the lake? Can you rent a slip for a day or two? Any weird or special restrictions to be aware of?

You know, the kind of information someone might want to make a 3-4 day or weekend trip to this place. I am interested in exploring more Colorado waters this year and I think this would help.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
As a regular user of a Snoopy caliber rod, I detect a hint of sarcasm. As you know, WE, it can be a lot of fun since every fish seems huge when you use a kids rod. Maybe we can incorporate it into the Small Fish Tactics article.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts