Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the reports on the forum, (and my own personal experience), have shown Evergreen Lake to be slow this Winter, I decided to send the DOW a brief letter to find out why.

Their reply arrived today. Here's a part of it...

"From the years 2000 to 2004, Evergreen Lake received an average of almost 10,000 catchable size rainbow trout per year, with stockings spread out from May through October each year. The goal of the October stockings is to provide fish for the upcoming ice fishing season. However, in 2005, Evergreen Lake did not receive as many rainbows as in previous years, due to availability of whirling disease negative trout. Depending on availability of trout, statewide stockings in some years have to be adjusted, and this is what happened in 2005. Evergreen Lake is scheduled to receive 8,000 rainbows each of the next two years (2006 and 2007). This should improve catch rates. There should also be some carry-over from the trout stocked prior to 2005 that did not get harvested. Tiger musky have been stocked annually in the lake since 1989, to control sucker populations. Prior to this period, suckers dominated fish populations, but the tigers have since controlled them. Because there may also be some predation on trout by the tiger musky, we will probably cut the numbers of tigers stocked annually, which should also increase trout catch rates.

(October) is the standard last stocking of the calendar year. Evergreen Lake will next be stocked in May, 2006, and throughout the rest of that year. "

It's too bad they're going to cut Tiger numbers, however, I think this might help increase the size of the ones already in there.

I'm also reminded of the thread earlier this year about that knucklehead who knowingly released diseased fish stock to public and private fisheries.

(I hope somebody whizzes in his coffee maker. :mad: )

D

·
0 Posts
Thanks dante-

That's helpful. Think I'll leave Evergreen to the skaters this Winter.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Good information. That certainly helps explain how slow the fishing is there. Wish they would stock more than 8k annually. The place gets a lot of pressure and they get pulled out fast.

Dan

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
That certainly helps explain how slow the fishing is there
...wow it is now the numbers stocked and not the curse...WOO HOO!...

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
zman said:
That certainly helps explain how slow the fishing is there
...wow it is now the numbers stocked and not the curse...WOO HOO!...
Zman, pay attention!

I never said it was numbers stocked. I said it helps explain the slow fishing there. I have caught fish when I went there this year.

So stop trying to act like you are pure as the driiven snow. Everyone knows you are a bum!

Dan

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
zSnowWhite?!...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts