Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I jumped on the red "everything" kraz when it first came out. Red Cajun line, red hooks, red beads. It worked, still does but I don't use it exclusively anymore...in fact I bet 80-90% of my stuff is non red.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I jumped on the red "everything" kraz when it first came out. Red Cajun line, red hooks, red beads. It worked, still does but I don't use it exclusively anymore...in fact I bet 80-90% of my stuff is non red.
lol...most of my stuff is non red...i remembered some1 was ask'n about red hooks a while bk n 2day i bumped into the article...i decided 2 post it up :D

·
Registered
471 Posts
I still use the red hooks often when I'm using bait, usually with a slip bobber setup. They seem to work but I think the fish are looking at the bait and not the hook for the most part when using bait hooks. Although they seem to work better when half of the red paint falls off and they look a little beat up.
If you have confidence in it, I believe that it will work better for you.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Color wore off the red hooks I had and was left with a bronze hook after
a little while.

Not convinced they make any difference anyway-in fact I really doubt it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Back in Massachusetts, Quaboag Pond, dude had a pike hit a red circle hook on a tip up -- no bait on it. Completely bare.
Pretty nice pike, too. I try to use red hooks when I can.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Back in Massachusetts, Quaboag Pond, dude had a pike hit a red circle hook on a tip up -- no bait on it. Completely bare.
Pretty nice pike, too. I try to use red hooks when I can.

I talked to a couple of fly guys on the taylor once that said that is what they were using and catching fish. ??????

Have not tried that technique myself...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I have no doubt you can catch some blue gills on bare red hooks...Although I also have no doubt you can catch blue gills on bare gold hooks....or sivler, or black...

I like red hooks, especially if they're owner or gamakatsu.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I talked to a couple of fly guys on the taylor once that said that is what they were using and catching fish. ??????

Have not tried that technique myself...
Not much of a head scratcher there. The Taylor tailwater section is full of chironomid larvae which many are red and about the size of a hook.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Last summer I was fishing a mountain lake and would only catch trout on small crankbaits with red hooks. If I put on a similar bait with a silver hook, they would come up and dart away every time. That made me a believer that in some situations, they are needed. But not always of course. Most of my lures do not have red hooks.

I'm not sure if the article mentioned it, but red is typically the color of the light spectrum that disappears first at depth. So at a certain depth, that red appears black. I believe purple/violet is the color that is visible the longest at depth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts