Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody put their hands on one of these rods?
I am looking for a 10' 4wt. and was considering this along with a Greys rod.
Thanks.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I have, and here is my opinion (since you asked!).... a rod that you are going to use for czech nymphing is probably not in a be a the rod you use to cast long distance. In fact, you will most likely not be casting this rod further than 25 or 30 feet and normally if you are czech nymphing, your roll cast will be inside 15 feet. That said, I don't believe in spending a ton of money on a rod for this application. My only goal in getting a check nymph rod is that it be light and balance well, as you will be holding it out a lot and the fatigue from a heavy rod is exaggerated when doing this.

The Gray's rod is half the price of the G-Loomis. The weight is very similar on both rods and fighting fish with either will be about the same. So unless you have different plans for this rod. I would spend as little as possible to get a very light 10 foot for weight.

all of this is coming from someone who much prefers G-Loomis to Gray's...

S

·
0 Posts
Theres absolutely no need for specialized gear for this. Once you have learned the actual technique and all the nuances that go along - any 9ft rod will do just fine. The manufacturers always love to get people thinking you need this n that to be successful.

Save your $ for gas

·
Registered
20 Posts
"Theres absolutely no need for specialized gear for this. Once you have learned the actual technique and all the nuances that go along - any 9ft rod will do just fine. The manufacturers always love to get people thinking you need this n that to be successful."

No way! The longer lighter rods way out perform the regular 9 foot. They protect the lighter tippets much better. I love my Gray's 10 foot 4 wt. Get one!!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts