Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shop Im working at right now carries the the metolius series of G-Loomis Rods. I have never fished loomis rods, but I want to know how yall feel about them. I get them 60 percent off of retail, so that certainly intrigues me. If not that rod, I'm looking towards an orvis TLS or T3 which I get 30 percent off of wholesale. Cost aside, what do yall feel about the way loomis rods perform? I'll be getting a 8'6" foot 4wt 4 pc high line speed loomis? Has anyone ever fished this rod?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I don't own any G Loomis rods, but if I remember right weren't they were one of the first companies to come out with graphite fly rods?  You don't seem to hear about them as much as other rod companies like Sage or Scott around here.  It's funny I own a Thomas & Thomas 9' 4wt. and I think it's one of the best rods I have, but you don't hear a lot about T & T in Colorado.  All that said I personally would lean toward the G Loomis, but that's just my opinion.  Besides how can you beat a 60% discount!!! ;) ;)

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I had a 4 piece GLX 8 wt i used for saltwater, pike, and trout and bass.  I hated it.  its tip was too soft, and the rest of the rod was fast...a weird combination i never learned to cast it well, be it with pike flies, medium sized streamers or an indicator and split shot nymping rigs...it was honestly the worst rod i have ever fished, and ended up selling it, one of the few rods i have ever owned that i sold.  i really gave it a chance though, but i just never got to like it....not even close in fact, it was that bad.   i bought it on a pro form and never got to cast it, so thats why i ended up with it....yet another reason to never drop money on a rod you havnt cast.

Thier other models seemed to be OK though...and i love thier spinning rods, both the GLX and GL3, they are favorites of mine.  a friend of mine has a GL2 flyrod in a 9 ft 7 wt which seems to be an okay rod.   Ive never cast the particular model you are looking at, only the GLXs...

Thomas and Thomas is more popular back east i think...they dont spend the amount of money on advertising as Sage does.  In my opinion my T & Ts are my favorite rods, with a close second to the Sage XP line....they just feel good to me, have great finishes, and work well for my casting style.   You are right though, i can only think of a few places that seel T & T....the top one in this region is Sage.  (kind of like the Levi Straus of fishing rods..people just buy them because of the name   ;)  )   they are great rods  though....

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea next chance I get Im going to take the hole shelf of rods out and cast them. I want to be dang sure this rod does what I want it to do. I primarily plan on using for dries and smaller water.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'll be curious to hear what you think of the Loomis Metolius. I've got 5 and 6 wt GLX classics and love them. I've fished with the new Streamdance GLX in 5wt and think it's an amazing rod. I had a 6wt GL3 for a while and thought it was ok . . .not enough 'feel' for my taste.

Rottal - out of curiosity, have you fished an 8wt Sage XP? I've heard that Sage introduced the XP to compete with the GLX. Both have a relatively soft tip on an otherwise fast rod.

Rod

·
Registered
164 Posts
My first Rod was an old G Loomis gl3 5wt rod.. I think I would have gotten better action with a stick cut right off a tree... The rod was just not built very well... It would take a miracle for me to buy another Loomis... Right now I fish with Winston, Scott, and 1 Temple fork (which is a pretty good rod considering the cost). I love medium to medium fast action rods… (I like to feel the rod load) I have not found a Loomis that does that… Do they even make a medium action?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Allow me to throw my 2 cents worth in...Local Boy, local equipment. check out www.elkhornflyrods.com I have a 9' 6w 4pc ELKHORN and T2 Elkhorn reel. They are located in Loveland CO, I love the combo, excellent for the $$.
Wait until the Intl Sportsmans Show next year, they bring down a load and everything is close to 1/2 price..anyhowz...CU on the water!..Pikester01

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
troutpocket said:
Rottal - out of curiosity, have you fished an 8wt Sage XP?  I've heard that Sage introduced the XP to compete with the GLX.  Both have a relatively soft tip on an otherwise fast rod. 

Rod
I actually had an 8 wt XP...and it was a good rod too. I did not notice though any similarities between it and the GLX...it felt completely different...fast all the way through from what i noticed. My favorite all around big trout/wiper rod now is a 2 pc 7 weight XP....you will see me with that more often than not fishing around here. My 8wt was nice, (a 4 pc i got for travel) but i ended up giving it too a buddy of mine for some electrical work he did at my house. I would not normally do something like this, but he is a good friend of mine and he needed a new rod (in fact, i gave it to him because he fishes a GLoomis GL2! lol ) anyways, if you saw my ridiculous collection of rods you could see how i could justify this...i needed to slim down my collection some, it was getting silly...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one of my buddies that I fish with knows the owner of Elkhorn fly rods very well. When my business idea grows to the right level, I fully plan on carrying Elkhorn.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have never fished a Loomis rod but my buddy has one I have watched that thing break more times than i care to comment on. I bet he's had it redone 8 or 9 times from just normal fishing conditions. I have always been a Reddington guy and for the money you can't beat them. Good Luck

Fish

·
Registered
164 Posts
Do any of you guys fish with Scott fly rods... there made right here in Colorado...In Montrose.. I know they can get pricy... but the new A2 is around 295.00 with a life time warrantee (hand made)  ;D... I have casted the 7wt and loved it... It will most likely be my next fly rod...  I guess it just comes down to preference... I know people that love Loomis rods... and people that hate them (me) :) However,  If feels good it can't be wrong lol

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I have some of the older Scott SAS series rods....in 7wt and 9wt. I like them a lot....and they were not too expensive, as they were thier middle of the line models. They replaced that particular model with another that is suppose to be an upgrade, i think they run in the mid 200s....ill see if i can find out more about them. Some of my buddies fish 9 1/2 ft 8 weight SASs on the North Platte and also like them...

the 9 wt i have is my primary pike rod...its great, and didnt cost me 600 dollars...which i appreciate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts