Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your in the market for a new boat and have not heard of G3 boats, you might want to check them out. Very high quality for about the price of a Tracker.

I'll be running a new V322F fishing pontoon next season, and possibly might be replacing my Starcraft walleye 17(for sale for $5,000.00 with I pilot if I do) with a G3 Angler V18SF.

Check em out!

www.g3boats.com

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Is there something that sets them apart from the others?

·
P I K E
10,159 Posts
I looked at the G-3's at the dealer up in Townsend Mt few years back and they are really nice boats, clean and roomy. I wanted the welded hull with no rivets so I went with the Tracker. I had heard of problems with their riveted hulls and just did not want the headaches.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Something I've always wondered about-if welded is better than rivets why do planes still have rivets?

·
P I K E
10,159 Posts
why did an engine just fall right off a B-52 Bomber? LOL! J/K bud. Rivets have a tendency to loosen up, separate and start leaking vs the welded hull being solid. Welds can crack also but happens less then leaking rivets. Planes go through constant maintenance checks so I imagine we never hear about what they find or it would scare the **** out of us...or at least me!

·
P I K E
10,159 Posts
Lund is riveted, end of story LOL........
True! This comes from the superior design of the hulls and better parts that causes less pressure in turn a smoother ride. I have looked at older Lund boats that did have loose rivets though, mostly smaller boats that were abused and left out in the elements to rot.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
I have a 1930 lowe that is riveted I bought it in 1993, in a 4 year period I put 1400 miles on the water with it. I have sheared off rivets on the bottom many times and replaced a few once. if I checked it now I bet I would find at least a dozen sheared. after a day on the water I drain maybe a gallon of water on a calm day.but if it is rough I might drain 5 gallons only because my live wells slop over the top in rough water, that said even with 5 gallons of water, my bilge pump wont pump any water out. the only time my bilge pump works is when someone didn't put the plug in, or we take waves over the bow, that happens on pueblo, once it happened on 11 mile while I rode it out where a dozen or so boat went to the beach and they all got filled with water. I wouldn't worry about rivets or welds there are many more important issues to think about in a new boat

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I believe planes are riveted to allow for expansion and contraction due to altitude changes and pressurization and de-pressurization.

They have to be flexible, welding would make it solid IMO.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

I know the 1990 lund pro v I rebuilt/restored last winter did not leak a drop. I think any riveted boat will leak if abused, I have seen older starcrafts that every frickin rivet looked loose. My 1992 alumcraft that I had for 16 years sheared off a few rivets , fixed them . was leaking some when I sold it. The tracker tundra was famous for splitting welds, expensive boat that was POS. I have not heard much about newer welded trackers how they are holding up.
Slayer the lower profile is why I went to the ranger, I can sit on a spot in wind now that I never could in my alumcaraft. The ride is the other reason, heavier fiberglass hulls designs are night and day vs tin for ride. We went salmon fishing in that prov last summer, I dam near killed the guys with me when not thinking I launched off another boats wake, to used to ranger ride, forgot I was in tin boat.

·
Registered
16,677 Posts
I know the 1990 lund pro v I rebuilt/restored last winter did not leak a drop. I think any riveted boat will leak if abused, I have seen older starcrafts that every frickin rivet looked loose. My 1992 alumcraft that I had for 16 years sheared off a few rivets , fixed them . was leaking some when I sold it. The tracker tundra was famous for splitting welds, expensive boat that was POS. I have not heard much about newer welded trackers how they are holding up.
Slayer the lower profile is why I went to the ranger, I can sit on a spot in wind now that I never could in my alumcaraft. The ride is the other reason, heavier fiberglass hulls designs are night and day vs tin for ride. We went salmon fishing in that prov last summer, I dam near killed the guys with me when not thinking I launched off another boats wake, to used to ranger ride, forgot I was in tin boat.
Yes I understand. For what I do, my tracker is holding up fine.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I've got a tin boat here in CO and a glass down in TX. As said, the ride and the way it holds in the wind is way better on a fiberglass boat. I'd never buy a tin boat again. Now if you mostly troll it doesn't matter much. My Lowe here is riveted and does leak some but maybe a gallon after a day on the water.

That being said with fiberglass you need a bigger motor and do use more fuel and they are harder to trailer and launch which is why I keep mine in a marina-haven't used the trailer in 2 yrs. Expensive but worth every penny.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts