Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was up at the delaneys this weekend and witnessed our liscence money at work. an older gentleman was stuck in a ditch on the west side of north delaney. he had been there since thurs afternoon,sleeping in his van, had been checked by the rangers and asked them for help getting out and they just wouldn't help him.. he had walked over to east delaney finally on sat aft and asked if he could sit down and rest in my shelter with me. i said sure, it was nice to have some company for a while. he explained his situation to me while i was fishing so i said i'd try and help him out, so we stayed there a while fishing and chatting. i actually started to catch fish when he showed up.. the game wardens stopped and checked us and he asked them for help(a different one than before). the ranger said he would come back by if he had time when he was done checking all the lakes. he even drove over to the guys truck while he was sitting with me, even though there was no one fishing over there. then he comes back and says that he won't be able to help him out. i was like, what a jerk.. so then i packed my stuff up and drove him over there and it only took me like 10 minutes to pull him out with my tow strap, didn't hurt my vehicle, he had been trying to shovel a path out of the ditch for 2 days! i guess it would've been a big inconvience to the rangers to help him out. this guy had been stuck for 2 days! i don't know how he slept in his van while it was at such a bad angle. so anyway made a friend, he was a nice guy, that is also going in for cancer surgery next month. so good luck to him and shame on the rangers...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thank you. Im glad to see there are guys out there like yourself willing to take a few minutes out of your day to help a complete stranger KUDOS, Im sure the fish gods will be blessing you for your good deed. Again thank you.

James

M

·
0 Posts
That's a great story... You are a class act... I don't know what those rangers were thinking, but if they really couldn't get him out, I would think they could call someone who could. I imagine it gets pretty cold up there at night...

M

·
0 Posts
I say great job Jaime. I had a rash of getting stuck two summers ago. Williams Fork shoreline twice (i've learned my lesson), and once at Lake Mac. The last time at Lake Mac, it cost me $150 to get an 8 wheel drive tractor to pull me out I was in so deep (I was at least 150 yards from shore and got stuck in a mud bog ???).

I've done my share of pulling, and I've thanked a few people myself. It's nice to know there are folks like yourself out there willing to help. It would have been nice for the ranger to at least offer to call for help. Such a shame.

·
Registered
578 Posts
That was awesome of you to help him out! I can't believe the RANGERS would just turn their back on someone who was stuck in a place where it gets very cold this time of year! What if he didn't get out of there and he ran out of gas in his vehicle and didn't have any other way to keep warm?? Being an older fella going in for Cancer surgery soon, that could have been a bad situation for them RANGERS to leave him in! SHAME ON THOSE RANGERS!!!! :mad: Great job to you for helping him out!!!!! 8)

·
Registered
376 Posts
well it is good to see that the rangers are using the trucks that we buy for them every other yearfor what they are made for, all them fancey winches and bumpers are getting put to good use.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The rangers probably didn't help him for the same reason cops don't help change tires anymore. Liability. Not saying I agreee with it.....

Glad you helped him out!! Good on ya!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
thats a joke, rangers can be really mean at times , i think its bull that we pay all this extra money on our liscenes and they cant stop and help , good job jamie

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
it just might be the ranger offered to call a wrecker but the guy didnt want to/couldnt pay for a wrecker. heck i can almost garuntee they offered to call cause if they didnt and the older guy ended up injured or worse the wardens would have some serious liability problems

and just because some guys driving a truck dont mean he knows how to safley unstick a another

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm sure they would've called a tow truck or hauled him to town, it is that they didn't even try to help, it took longer to hook the tow strap up than it did to get him out, he had already dug a path out. they took the time to drive over there when he was sitting with me(saw their tracks) no one else was over there. i have been hunting up there for 20 years and have had to pull a couple of game wardens out that got stuck during hunting season, don't know if i would do it again. you know liability being what it is. he might hit his head while i'm pulling him out and then try to sue me. oh well what do you do? live and learn, i just hope when i get stuck again(i'm sure i will) that some one will help me..

·
Registered
991 Posts
jamiehughes said:
i just hope when i get stuck again(i'm sure i will) that some one will help me..
Someone will. I'm a pretty firm believer in what goes around comes around. In fact, any time I pull somebody out (which I do a lot) and they ask me what they can do for me, I tell 'em to help the next guy out that they see needs help. Eventually, it'll come back around to me.

B

·
0 Posts
Jamie are the "rangers" Colorado State Park" or DOW game wardens? My friend you have some good "Karma" coming your way, what goes around does come around........

·
Registered
943 Posts
me amd my nephew were fishing up at pinewood one time and his battery was dead. a ranger up there told us she could not even give him a jump :mad: we even had cables we had to wait 4 hours before someone finally stopped and helped.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maybe the rangers are related to the nasty ones that work at Quincy! Seems like it runs in the family for them.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kind of a shame isn't it. we pay their salaries but yet some are above helping us out. if the shoe was on the other foot though??

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good on you Jamie. I don't know why the DOW wardens didn't help; they lose the respect of everyone from miserable actions like that.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
You should file a complaint, and see what the reason was they didnt help the guy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts