Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Good info Snagged Up.

I've used Sta-bil (sp) for years in all of my small engine equipment and gas cans if they sit for more than a week. I even started using their Diesel version in my compressor after having it fail to start one cold day. When I don't forget to do it; they all fire right up no matter how cold it is or how long they sat.

If you have equipment with gas shut offs run it for a few minutes with some in the tank, shut the gas lever off and let the engine run out of fuel on its own. That helps keep the carbs from "gumming up" as well.

I'm sure Seafoam is very similar if not better (at least that's what the price difference would indicate).

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What I like about Sea Foam is it is a fuel stabilizer and it cleans the fuel system at the same time. The cost is also a factor to me, $7.00 at Walmart. If you look around the web site there is a lot of info and some personal stories.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Own a commercial landscape maintenance biz been using SeaFoam for a few years and I have noticed increased life out of my small equipment and the older stuff still starting easy. Definitely helps keep the carb clean which usually contributes to almost all problems with small equipment. As afr as fuel stabalizer well never really worried about that I just leave everything full never had a problem doing that for 25 years.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Especially true for small engines, it is best to run ethanol free fuel.

Fuel with ethanol will break down and gum up a carb in 3 months or less. Pure gas has a shelf life of up to 3 years.

Ethanol free fuel can be a pita to find, but it is worth the effort for trouble free operation of small engines.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts

Fuel with ethanol will break down and gum up a carb in 3 months or less. Pure gas has a shelf life of up to 3 years.

Ethanol free fuel can be a pita to find, but it is worth the effort for trouble free operation of small engines.
3 years? That seems a little long. I know you're right that gas with ethanol breaks down way faster but if gas really lasts three years I'd be surprised. Is diesel the same?

·
Registered
4,800 Posts

Sorry didnt mean regular fuel meant the regular stuff they sell at Loaf jug :smile: n

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use it in all my motors, engines from lawn equipment to my 2 cycle outboard. Usually one or two doses a year.

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
Yep, great stuff! I even use it in my Jeep!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I am going to have to try it in my lawnmower, snowblower, and rototiller this coming year . Sounds like it could cure some of my issues with these pieces of equipment. Any suggestions as where to pick it up? Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
3 years? That seems a little long. I know you're right that gas with ethanol breaks down way faster but if gas really lasts three years I'd be surprised. Is diesel the same?

Yes unleaded fuel can last around 3 years but you need to make sure it is in an air tight dark area that stays relatively the same temp all year. Same with Diesel but it has a "shelf live" of about 5 years. under same conditions.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I am going to have to try it in my lawnmower, snowblower, and rototiller this coming year . Sounds like it could cure some of my issues with these pieces of equipment. Any suggestions as where to pick it up? Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc?
Pretty much every where Auto Part stores, Ace Hardware, Wally World etc etc

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Another product that seems to work okay is Marvel Mystery Oil. Everything runs alittle quieter. Actually only thing I have used that has increased MPG in my Powerstroke. Not to many things I havent tried but for the cost its cheap seems to work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts