Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, yes, because there are more attractive alternatives on offer by foreign competition. Global marketplace/capitalism run amok and whatnot.

I would not buy a Volt either. But it is good to see a major US company taking it's first faltering steps into the next incarnation of personal transportation. The sooner THEY get the bugs worked out, the sooner WE can benefit.

Or so it would appear.

Look at it this way... the Volt is a Model T. I think it is not so bad in that context.

Cheers.

Shaun

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
I want one!!!!!!!!!

sswan said:
You still gotta tow it.
Yeah but I live 5 minutes from the lake. I probably spent 20x more $$$ on gas for the boat than the truck for towing last summer.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yea that Global offering from Nissan sold half as many as the Volt ::)
and the Model T was built so almost everyone could own one the Volt is built so almost no one can.

I think R&D is cool and eventually it will reveal the secrets to great efficient motors, batteries and propulsion systems but to piss down all of our necks and say its raining as they force this alternative energy down our throats when it's yet in its infancy as far as development is BS.
Acting like they need to subsidise the big three and GE to the tune of billions to do the R&D and premature production is also BS. They could get far more bang for their buck by funding college and national labs to keep experimenting and developing much more refined and successful applications than glorified golf carts.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
Yea that Global offering from Nissan sold half as many as the Volt ::)
and the Model T was built so almost everyone could own one the Volt is built so almost no one can.

Acting like they need to subsidise the big three and GE to the tune of billions to do the R&D and premature production is also BS. They could get far more bang for their buck by funding college and national labs to keep experimenting and developing much more refined and successful applications than glorified golf carts.
I think I understand what you are saying....and I think I agree. Although I don't believe any of the new stuff is being forced upon us. Unless you are talking about E85....

I think the opposite actually. I feel like gasoline is our only option right now. I hardly ever even hear about the new stuff most of the time :-\

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
There are over a dozen private or college groups that are miles ahead of the mainstream manufacturers with the tech! It is all about the $$.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I think I understand what you are saying....and I think I agree. Although I don't believe any of the new stuff is being forced upon us. I think the opposite actually. I feel like gasoline is our only option right now. I hardly ever even hear about the new stuff most of the time
Riv I'm talking about windmills, solar, bio fuels, as well as the auto industry. It is all heavily subsidized and pretty much shoved down our throats.
Take solar and wind as an example, we are highly invested in both and the efficiency of either is highly questionable in comparison to our main stream power sources.
What happens when some bright kid at a University comes up with that missing link that makes solar or wind generation super efficient and cheap? What do we do with all the crap that is standing all over our country and obsolete? Or worse yet will the powers that be even allow such a revelation given the bill of goods they sold the people?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Until improvements are made in electrical storage, batteries..etc..Electric cars are farcical...And if we want electric cars, why haven't we been building new Nuclear Power Plants in order to recharge these automobiles? Everyone hates on coal..which we have more than enough of, and it's a great source of fuel ...Yet, they promote electric cars...powered by coal generated electricity in most cases...

·
Registered
844 Posts
Well those cute little cars wouldn't sell well if you said they were coal powered :-[ on second thought they probably couldn't sell worse.
Seriously, coal, hydro, and nuc power are not even considered in this admin and all are cheap and viable compared to all those ugly f'n windmills and solar farms.
Why can't small nuclear generators like those used on aircraft carriers be used rather than the huge expensive stations that are obsolete before they are finished with the construction. Why can't a state like CO. that has millions of acre ft flowing through dams produce more hydro power? Coal is cheap and sustainable while we develope the others and the alternate fuels will find their place when they are developed to the point they are viable in the marketplace.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We are running out of CHEAP OIL. Without CHEAP OIL we descend into chaos. We will never run out of oil. At a certain point it will be to costly to extract, and it will be left in the earth. That point is just over the horizon.

Do you anti-technology guys find exception with that assessment?

Look at it like this. The global population is expanding at a curvilinear rate. We all like to think that the island of America is one world, and all of "those guys" are another world.

But "those guys" speak mandarin. And they just got a little taste of what it feels like to have some pocket change, eat a steak, drive a car. How much longer do you think CHEAP OIL will last? Twenty years? Fifty?

Are you hoping to be dead before the **** hits the fan? I know that I will be here in fifty years, and I do not want to live in a Mad Max movie in my "golden years!"

The quicker we get this "silly green technology" worked out, the smoother the transition will be.

I know it is not fun to think about, but the empire WILL FALL. We are on the edge of the abyss, but there is still time to recover. The longer we wait to wake up to this reality, the worse that wake up call will be.

I am from Texas, and grew up on a steady diet of NHRA. I love the roar of powerful engines. But they are doomed. And yeah, it sucks, but that is how it is. CHEAP OIL is a thing of the past, not the future.

SS

·
Registered
762 Posts
I drive a Tundra v8 4x4. Get 14.5 mpg. 22gallon tank. I fill up every 2 weeks.

If my math is correct, if the gas price doubles from $2.50 to $5.00 i will end up spending extra $1320 per year.

For that I'd rather drive my Tundra than some fake European mini car. I'll just eat less sushi per month.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
bzboy said:

If my math is correct, if the gas price doubles from $2.50 to $5.00 i will end up spending extra $1320 per year.

For that I'd rather drive my Tundra than some fake European mini car. I'll just eat less sushi per month.
When you only drive 150 miles a week, it is not nearly as painful!

·
Registered
762 Posts
FishLip said:
bzboy said:

When you only drive 150 miles a week, it is not nearly as painful!
True that. Come summer I'll be singing a different song probably

1 - 19 of 19 Posts