Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went and picked up my new boat yesterday. The dealer(And the owners manual) told me to NOT to put gas in either motor that has alcohol. IE: ethanol and methanol. Does anyone know any gas staions that dont use it in their gas or am I going to be hard pressed to find one?

It has a 4 stroke Merc 5hp kicker and a MERCURY 75 HP ELPTO.

Thank you

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Yeah, that is a problem. I you might find some non oxygenated fuel in Pueblo or Cheyene, and we don't (are not supposed to) have restrictions after April 1st, till late October or so, but last year it was hard to find any around here. I know it helps our CO emissions, but in my experience 10 % ethanol is about 10% less efficent (miles per gallon).

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Where's dan and all of his ethanol gasoline information >:D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Jay, check out the Tech Center Sinclair at I-25 and Bellview. They used to sell 100 octane gas- not cheap but I don't think it had alcohol in it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You can get 100 or 104 octane racing fuel from some stations or petroleum suppliers. it doesn't have alcohol but is muy expensivo (around $4.00/ gallon) it really wont help the engine run any better unless you have mega high compression ratios or boost...in which case it prevents detonation. but...as I said...no alcohol either. as mentioned, we should be getting 100% gasoline back in the pumps this spring sometime.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gasoline oxygenated with alcohol readily takes up water when it is present. The water may be condensed out of humid air or be a contaminant in the fuel system. Dissolved water will not interfere with engine operation. But if enough water is present, gasoline oxygenated with alcohol will separate into two liquid phases: a top phase which is almost all gasoline (and oil, in the case of 2-cycle fuel) and a bottom phase of water and alcohol. (Phase separation is not a problem with gasoline oxygenated with MTBE.) Phase separation may make the engine difficult or impossible to start. To solve the problem, replace the separated mixture with fresh gasoline.

The situation with the greatest potential for damage is phase separation in the fuel tank of a 2-cycle engine without an oil sump. If the engine is able to start and run on the alcohol/water phase, it won't be lubricated -- almost all the added engine oil will be in the gasoline phase.

To minimize the chance of phase separation, keep water out of your equipment's fuel system and practice good fuel management. You can eliminate the possibility of water pickup when your equipment is not in use if you keep the fuel tank full and close the tank vent.

L

·
0 Posts
I don't put ethanol treated fuel in my Evinrude. They say MTBE is ok but I have never put that in there either. I go to Flying J on airport road and I-70. One of my fishing buddies used to live in Castle Rock and I think you could get it there. Check around in the metro area, as I think they only treat the fuel with ethanol in the winter for emission purposes. Some places use it year around though. You have to ask different places.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
If fuel is treated with ethanol, it has to be posted on the gas pump. Incase you were unsure about a certain station's gas.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Jay, I am curious are your engines older or new? I have not found where any outboard manufacturer specifically forbids the use of a 10% Ethanol/gas mixture or states it will invalidate the warranty. (on new engines, some older models do)

I also found this on the internet, it has good information concerning gas, ethanol and octanes.

http://www.maxrules.com/fixgas.html

Dan

·
Registered
163 Posts
About 8 years ago there was a big stink in California about various lakes polluted with MTBE. They blamed, amoung other things, boats. I have no idea if this is still an issue or not.

Could one of the many fuel stabilizers on the market prevent seperation?

·
Registered
81 Posts
None of the stations in the Denver area, to and including the entire front range use MTBE. It's being outlawed in most states anyway. In regards to the stations that use ethanol, you will find that 99% in the Denver area use ethanol because the federal goverment backs them. If you are really determined to get straight gas, try Hill Petroleum, Arvada or Duggan petroleum, south Santa Fe Drive, but it aint cheap There's nothing wrong with the ethanol blended gas, I use it in a 1985 Johnson 50HP and it works great.

·
Registered
797 Posts
The closest place that I know of is that gas station across from Elizabeth High School, its pretty far east but whenever I'm out there I always top off the tank.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2000 Mercury 125 and the owners manual states that while they do not recommend the use of gas with alcohol, it can be used if there is no more than 10 percent alcohol. I have used ethanol gas since the motor was new-with the dealers approval, and have had no problems. Refineries don't blend more than 10 percent ethanol into gas and no one uses methanol these days so I believe it is not an issue.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
MTBE is no longer allowed because it is a carcinogen.

It is possible to buy "blended" gasolines with greater than a 10% Ethanol level. Many cars are now and have been manufuactured that are "Flex Fuel Vehicles" They will run on any concentration of alcohol up to 85%.

Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts